mtbr member
    Oct 2018

New bike question

Hello, I have hours of research into this but im trying to decide which bike is better for my needs. I havent rode a bike for awhile and when I did it was a Sorrento on thin 26" tires. I live in Southern CA and plan to ride anywhere. 225 lbs, 6'0".

2018 Sync'R $875
    2018 Co-op DRT 2.1 $1100

I live around miles and miles of singletrack with climbs, mountain trails, fire roads, and a downhill park. Most of that is above my skill level. I'm not sure I can pedal a plus bike like I picture. What do you guys think? I know both bikes are better then my skills, but eventually I want to catch up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Trying to help you with the info you gave ,is like telling you what shoes to buy. Bikes in a price range are very much alike on specs. Go to shops and test ride,ask questions . Try To find demo days, borrow ,rent as many bikes as you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Co-op is well spec'ed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah I do like the specs. I'm worried about the extra drag of the bigger tires and me being out of shape. With the SyncR I'm worried about the 32mm stanchions being 225lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rocket Rons are not draggy tires at all. The tread pattern has small low knobs. Wide with that profile will roll fast. Faster than skinny in loose and sandy stuff. Another good tire is the Bontrager XR2 Team 2.8. Fast and long lasting.
    If you want to ride on paved pick up a cheap 29 wheelset. It'll fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I assume you really mean the 27.5+ wheels and their correspondingly wide tires, rather than the tires themselves. That's legit.

At about $1200, you should be able to find a number of suitable 27.5 or 29er hardtails. What you really want to look for is an air fork and hydraulic brakes. Bonuses are 1x drivetrain and dropper post.

One thing you might want to look for is more modern geometry, as some hardtails still stick with cross-country racing style geometry. Modern means headtube angle less than 70 degrees and seat tube angle greater than about 72-73. I'm not sure I'd be worried about fork stanchions yet, yes it could be a consideration if you are riding some hard-hitting stuff, but that's probably a ways off. And by the time you start hitting hard stuff, you may be ready for a full suspension bike,

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Both of those bikes I believe have the same geo at 68 deg. They both have good components and air shocks. Is the Xfusion Mcqueen 34 better then the Recon 32? Worth an extra $225?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One has non Boost fork(won't take 29s) and skinnier(28 vs 45 inner)rims/tires. I like SLX as higher quality over NX, especially brakes. SLX are the same as XT which are very strong. It adds up.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    One has non Boost fork(won't take 29s)
    Huh? WTF? Flat wrong. Hub spacing has nothing to do with it. Vertical clearance does. Diamondback's documentation on the fork included with the bike leaves much to be desired. The Recon RL IS available in 27.5" and 29" versions, and Diamondback specs 27.5 x 2.3 tires on the bike. So while you are correct that the fork on this bike won't take 29" wheels, it's not BECAUSE of the hub spacing. It's because the fork is simply the 27.5" version. And the frame is built for 27.5" wheels, as well (and it IS boost - gasp).

OP, look...go ride some bikes and pick what you like. It's not rocket science. At this point, it's not worth getting analysis paralysis over little details. With as long as it's been since you've ridden a bike, you just don't know what you don't know. Yes, plus tires are a little slower than skinnier ones. All else being equal, the extra weight will take a little extra effort to spin up. But mtb is not entirely about speed. That's only part of it. Also part of it is capability. If you want pure speed, buy a road bike. Sometimes bigger tires are faster on the trail, because they have more traction. There's a reason why 2.4" tires are the "gold standard" now instead of 1.95's like your old bike probably had.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I like everything better on the DRT besides the wide rims/2.8 tires. Most plus bikes I've seen came with 38 inner rims. I'm just not sure I can pedal those. I hope one bike with one set of rims/tires can do it all. Even short commutes to work.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserttrd4x View Post
    I like everything better on the DRT besides the wide rims/2.8 tires. Most plus bikes I've seen came with 38 inner rims. I'm just not sure I can pedal those. I hope one bike with one set of rims/tires can do it all. Even short commutes to work.
    You need to ride a plus bike so you can actually know what you're talking about. You can pedal them just fine. I ride a fatbike with 65mm wide rims and 4" tires and pedaling them is fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm also looking at the Cujo 2. Spec'd good, $875, 35inner rims/2.8, SLX components, air shock, no boost in the front but I dont plan to purchase different rims unless i have to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm leaning towards the DRT. Thanks everyone for the advice.

jcd's best friend
    Post photos when you bring the bike home!
    Trek Émonda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserttrd4x View Post
    I'm also looking at the Cujo 2. Spec'd good, $875, 35inner rims/2.8, SLX components, air shock, no boost in the front but I dont plan to purchase different rims unless i have to.
    This bike does have 15x110 Boost hub and a Boost fork. It has some SLX components. Not the brakes. Not a Shadow+ clutch rear derailleur, just a plain one. And it has 2x10 drive with a front derailleur. Which is not a problem cause you can change that to single no front derailleur easily. I'd change the front brake at least to SLX. I'd get a SLX clutch rear derailleur. This is a good bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm not convinced there's $300 worth of difference in the Coop and the C'dale. If you are willing to spend 1200 on the Coop, get the Cannondale and a dropper post and still save some money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It's more like $150 difference. My mistake. The Coop is 1100 out the door, the Cujo 875 plus tax.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well, the REI website says 1198 and 879.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Cujo 2 879plus tax. Coop 1100 OTD. It was used a few times, but can't tell at all.