1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New bike purchase

I am considering either the Ironhorse Maverick XC or Pro Mountain bike. Are these good bikes. Any strong preference between the two?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Post another question:

What's the best bike for a person like me. I'm a beginner and w want to do such and I weigh blah blah blah

pronounced may-duh
    At first glance they are low end beginners bikes. Probably could handle some light trail riding but no major abuse and would not be considered race ready. If you are serious about the sport I think you would outgrow this bike quickly

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It all depends on what you want to do. I got a Maverick Comp and it's doing quite well for singletrack and commuting. Sure, it will need some upgrades over the years, but for the price, you can't beat it at the entry level.

I got mine from Performance Bikes by using their red phone, and it was shipped within 3 days! It was on a HUGE sale, too.

You may want to consider the Maverick Team hardtail. If you don't need fullsuspension, it's a great way to go.

Ride them first and see what you like.

mtbr member
    May 2006