1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

NEW BIKE: Older High End Bike ('03-'06) vs. Newer Medium Range Bike '12?

Hey Now,

I've been out of riding for several years and now going to get back into it so looking at getting a new (to me) FS bike, mainly for just standard cross country riding; budget around $1,000.

My question is, in your opinion(s) are the older higher end bikes, say 2003-2006, santa cruz heckler/blur, ellswroth truth, turners, etc. they way to go in order to get a nice used bike with higher end frame/drivetrain. OR, has technology increased enough that getting a medium range bike that's a few years old is totally worth it.

Specifically looking at 2006 Ellsworth Truth, 2003 Turner 5 Spot, 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler as older nice bikes VS a 2012 Specialized Camber 29er as a medium range. All around the same price.

Thanks!

-ben

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you go with 26" wheels there are a lot of deals to be had used. Depends on your location obviously. Used full suspension can be a great deal or a money pit. Bearings and shock are blown and you're not gonna be happy. Along with wear on the rest of the bike. It really depends on condition and fit. In that price range I would go used, you will get much better components, as long as they are in good shape.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    In your area(Portland) I'd go with the Camber for the long run. More easily sellable if you drop out. A good platform for fork, shock, wheels upgrades if you are riding.
    Here's a review.
    Specialized Camber Expert Carbon EVO 29: 2014 Bible of Bike - Mountain Bike Tests - YouTube

I'd rather be on my bike
    That Camber is a great handling bike. I had one, and I think that it was a '12, not sure though as I bought it from a friend. I ripped the trails on that thing like it was no ones business. BB was a bit low for me so I ended up selling it.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Great. Thanks. The Camber I'm looking it is the base model 2012 29er version. Has XT...seems like low end brake levers, etc. but probably fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Brake upgrade from CRC for m615 is $113 fr/rr.
    Looks like the base is not the new frame. I would keep looking for a Comp.