Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NEW BIKE: Older High End Bike ('03-'06) vs. Newer Medium Range Bike '12?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  eb1888 
#1 ·
Hey Now,

I've been out of riding for several years and now going to get back into it so looking at getting a new (to me) FS bike, mainly for just standard cross country riding; budget around $1,000.

My question is, in your opinion(s) are the older higher end bikes, say 2003-2006, santa cruz heckler/blur, ellswroth truth, turners, etc. they way to go in order to get a nice used bike with higher end frame/drivetrain. OR, has technology increased enough that getting a medium range bike that's a few years old is totally worth it.

Specifically looking at 2006 Ellsworth Truth, 2003 Turner 5 Spot, 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler as older nice bikes VS a 2012 Specialized Camber 29er as a medium range. All around the same price.

Thanks!

-ben

#2 ·
If you go with 26" wheels there are a lot of deals to be had used. Depends on your location obviously. Used full suspension can be a great deal or a money pit. Bearings and shock are blown and you're not gonna be happy. Along with wear on the rest of the bike. It really depends on condition and fit. In that price range I would go used, you will get much better components, as long as they are in good shape.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#4 ·
That Camber is a great handling bike. I had one, and I think that it was a '12, not sure though as I bought it from a friend. I ripped the trails on that thing like it was no ones business. BB was a bit low for me so I ended up selling it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.