1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New bike build

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New bike build

Was thinking of buying a Specialized fsr or Giant Trance around the first of the year. Wait till then for a good deal and time to save for one.

But now I am thinking of buying a frame and building a bike like I want over the next 6 months or so. Would like to go with one of these 2 but if I could get a better frame and parts over time to build I may be able to step it up a notch.

Any Sugestions?

pronounced may-duh
    You will get a much, much, much better deal on a complete bike. Unless you already have a whole lot of bling parts or the frame you want dosen't come as a complete bike, it dosn't make much sense to buy a frame and build yourself. I'd go with the FSR. The horst link makes a big differance when braking and under pedal power the suspension remains active. Today's platform shocks will take care of the pedal induced bob. If you shop in december you can sometimes get last years model on closeout and save a few $.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was weighing the same scenerio when i was looking for a bike... Glad i didnt build one though. I'm very happy with my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp.... Very happy..

ride hard take risks
    Deffinatly agree with what said buy built. I have built my last few bikes & they definatly cost way more then they are worth.

Your bike is incorrigible
    There are only two reasons I can think of for building a bike yourself.

1. You like a frame and it exists as "frame only". But you must be willing to spend at least 50% more for parts than on an existing fully built bike of equal quality.

2. You like a frame and have all the parts lying around and figure you might as well use them up.

I've built the last two bikes, and they've cost a total of $2000 more than if I had just gone with the pre-builts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As everyone else stated...cheaper to buy a full bike than to build. I am building my bike right now and am finding that I could have easily bought a great bike for a lot cheaper. I fall into the 'frame-only' category though. Buy the whole bike and upgrade parts as they wear out.