1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

new bike, break not working

Have a brand new Norco Fluid 6.3 here, within a few mins of getting it home and riding it I lost my rear break(hydraulic). Has a lot of pull and no stopping power. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Needs to be bled?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Take it back to the shop ,they should fix it for free. How did you get the bike home? If you took the wheel off and pulled or bumped the lever that could cause the loss of brake. You could try pulling the lever quickly a few times to see itf it will build pressure.

mtbr member
    does the lever pull all the way to the grip with no pad contact? or do the pads hit the rotor and just slip?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I know it's a long shot, but are the brakes pads still in the caliper? Hah..came across a rider on the trail about a year ago who swore his shop forgot to put back the retaining c-clip into the pad bolt...and he was scavenging the trails for his lost pads. Ive heard of shops doing a lot of odd things.

Chances are you just have an air pocket inside the lines...or even could have sliced a line while riding and lost fluid. Double check all your brake lines and calipers and make sure it looks correct first. Then you should bring it back to the shop. If there is no "crash" damage They should fix it at no cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    does the lever pull all the way to the grip with no pad contact? or do the pads hit the rotor and just slip?
    Yes all the way back to the grip.

Would take it to the shop but I bought it 3 hours from my hometown which was the closest dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by letsbuildasnowman View Post
    Yes all the way back to the grip.

Would take it to the shop but I bought it 3 hours from my hometown which was the closest dealer.
    Yep, it needs to be rebleed. Since it's brand new, ask/demand for a rebleed or exchange.
    (づ ̄  ̄)づ

mtbr member
    the bike shop should do this for you free of charge. if it's a brand new bike, it's not necessarily the shop's fault. they probably did not touch the brakes, nor should they have touched them. the manufacturer sets up the brake and should be 100% ready to go out of the box.

wait, I see the problem. that bike comes with Avid hydraulic brakes? you better start saving your gas money, or buy a bleed kit and learn to work on them yourself, because you are going to spend a lot of time getting those Elixer 1's to work. I have lost count on how many I have sent back to Avid under warranty. ask if the bikeshop will take them back and give you a deal on some Shimao Deore or SLX brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BlueSky has SLX for 80 a set. Order now and ride happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I had the same issue...

Quote Originally Posted by letsbuildasnowman View Post
    Have a brand new Norco Fluid 6.3 here, within a few mins of getting it home and riding it I lost my rear break(hydraulic). Has a lot of pull and no stopping power. Any ideas?

I had the same issue with my exiler 1's on my 2013 carve. I don't have the link but there is a recall on some elixer 1's. There is an O'ring that is under sized that has to be replaced. Got new elixer 1's front and back on my bike now under warranty and it's been no issues since.