1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New bike, bent wheel, now what?

Ok, so I just got my first bike yesterday, a Cannondale F7 disk. They local shop my friend works at just got an XL in, and he put it together for me to try out. I liked it, and he got me a deal, so I got it. Great. Well, we went out riding last night, and I tried to go over a jump. I wiped out on the landing, and bent the back wheel. My friend and his coworker tried to true it up today, but they couldn't get it. It's rideable, but the back wheel is definitely not quite round anymore.

Anyway, the F7 doesn't come with the greatest of components. I bought it because it seemed to fit nicely, and I was told it was a good frame to upgrade in the future. My dilemna is whether I should just get another WTB wheel to replace my bent one, or if I should go ahead and start upgrading now...

If I upgrade, should I just get the wheel? Or should I go all out and replace everything in the rear while I'm at it? Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's an XC type bike. I don't know what kind of jumps you're doing, but It's not designed for much. Looks like those are the least expensive rims WTB makes...

Review: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...92_139crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know the website says it has dx23 rims, but it actually has sx24's. Although I doubt that it matters, the 24's are probably not any better.

So if I'm upgrading the wheels, what would be a decent step up in durability without being really expensive? I'll probably just read a bunch of reviews and see if I can figure something out myself...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Mavic 317s

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    do your friend and his co worker know how to true up a wheel?
    if not , take it to someone who does, they may be able to get it right, also have them check all the spokes and make sure they are uniform and tight
    most low end wheelsets arent really adjusted properly and loose spokes will make the wheel weak.
    you might be able to save yourself some dough and get stronger wheels to boot

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Buy a new (stronger) rim if it's bad and have your shop build it up. Get a freeride rim if you're going to continue to jump on that bike.

mtbr member
    Make sure it's a dual walled rim at least.

don't move for trees
    go for the upgrade. flimsy wheels are sketchy to ride with and will hinder your growth in riding. you can keep your old hub and just get a new rim. If you go this route you will need to get new spokes and nipples according to the new rim. the mavics are a good choice, read reviews and see what is around. If you're looking for something stronger, consider an All Mountian rim for in the back, little heavier, but can with stand more abuse
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain