1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New bike for a beginner

Hello All

I am new to riding and have been wanted to get a bike for a while. I am currently looking at two bikes and would like to get everyones opinions or suggestion.
    The bikes I am looking at are the Gary Fisher Katai and the Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc.
    Any feedback on these two bikes would be greatly appreciated.
    Since I am new to riding I am looking in the 500 - 700 price range to get started. If there are any other brand suggestions I am open as I am not dead set on the above.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Brakes: Avid BB5s vs. Promax mechanical disc.
    FD: Shimano Altus vs. C102.
    RD: SRAM X-4 vs. Shimano Acera (equivalent.)
    Rims: Bontrager Ranger vs. Alex RHD. (Think Fisher has the better rims here?)
    Fork: RST NEON ML 63mm vs. Suntour XCT V2 80mm.

Looks to me like the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc has equivalent or a little bit nicer components and is cheaper.

Also, if $700 is really your top end, you can go up a level in bikes. The Fisher Wahoo Disc is a much better bike for instance- also the Trek 4300 Disc or 4500. The Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc is a stretch, but if you get a deal on last year's model...

For around ~$650, there's also the Mongoose Tyax Elite, GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc, Scott Aspect 55, Felt Q620, and Raleigh Talus 8.0.

Also, there's the Forge Sawback 5xx from Target. It's under $400 for a decent hardtail. Equivalent or better components as the above bikes. (It does have the Dart 1 for a fork though.)

Best of luck in your search!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    talking about the Talus, look around and you might find a deal on last years close out Mojave 8.0s.. My LBS has it for $450 and overall its a much better bike for the buck.

You should also take a look at online only dealers like Forge and Bikesdirect. They ahve some great bang for buck deals at the low end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yup. If you don't mind buying without trying, the 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0 is an awesome deal.

If you don't mind buying without trying and won't miss the nicety of front fork lockout, the Forge Sawback 5xx is also an excellent deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    Yup. If you don't mind buying without trying, the 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0 is an awesome deal.

I was talking about him looking around locally for a deal on the Mojave. Also, the Mojave and Talus are pretty much identical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    I was talking about him looking around locally for a deal on the Mojave. Also, the Mojave and Talus are pretty much identical.
    Oh. It's just gonna be tough to find a retailer that carries them, but yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the info. I almost bought the Specialized Hardrockthis past weekend but just didnt want to buy something to fast.
    There is just a lot to learn about all of the different components and all and it can be a little over whelming.
    The specialized Rockhopper is nice but it maybe a little over budget right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hello guys, I am also looking into getting my first real mountain bike. I only have a budget of only 500 us dollars but so far the bikes that interest me are the mongoose tyax sport, raliegh talus 4.0 and the cannondale trail six, all are from the 2011 catalogs. I know nothing of this sport and I couldn't find any reviews of these bikes. Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by stikup artist; 04-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.