Thread: new bike advice

mtbr member

new bike advice

i took my trek 3700 out today and did some nice single trail, i came to this one sloop and at the bottom was a root. i was going way to fast to avoid it, so i popped my front tire over it and my rear slammmmmmed it. broke a spoke and now my rim is wicked crooked.

my question is, could i fit a non freewheel hub and rim on this bike? its got disc mounts. or should i save for a norco? i have no clue what to do. i just wannah ride and stop breaking stuff. i saw a norco for 349 with discs and the hub didn't say FW. would i be able to jump it? i road a 1500 dollar giant stp2 and it was amazing. it felt like i could slam it and nothing would brake. im not looking for that, im looking for an easy fix, or a bike for under 400. can anyone help me out? recommend some bikes to look for on craigs list?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DubSixxer
    ... i just wannah ride and stop breaking stuff.
    Ride and not break stuff? Then you'd be a roadie .

Do you have a bike shop nearby? Have had them look at that wheel? It might be a matter of simply replacing one or two bent spokes.

I took a stick into my rear wheel last summer. Got jammed in and bent a spoke right at the nipple. That threw the wheel out of true just enough for me to notice easily. Replacing the spoke solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Ride and not break stuff? Then you'd be a roadie .

Do you have a bike shop nearby? Have had them look at that wheel? It might be a matter of simply replacing one or two bent spokes.

I took a stick into my rear wheel last summer. Got jammed in and bent a spoke right at the nipple. That threw the wheel out of true just enough for me to notice easily. Replacing the spoke solved the problem.

lol, no no no. i snap axles.... im on my 3rd one and its bent bad. freewheels are not the way to go. i was wondering if i should but a diff hub on, or get a diff bike.

mtbr member
    Oh, I see what you're saying: get rid of the freewheel in favor of a cassette hub. Is that what you're after? A cassette hub should work fine on that bike.

Edit: some days I wish I could ride hard enough to break anything, anything at all .

mtbr member
    Oh, I see what you're saying: get rid of the freewheel in favor of a cassette hub. Is that what you're after? A cassette hub should work fine on that bike.

Edit: some days I wish I could ride hard enough to break anything, anything at all .

that's awesome, ill start looking at hubs. do you suggest any?

mtbr member
    Dub, I have no idea what hubs to suggest. I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I just run whatever hubs come on the wheels that come on the bikes.

mtbr member
    Dub, I have no idea what hubs to suggest. I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I just run whatever hubs come on the wheels that come on the bikes.
    ohhh okay. well. thanks anyways man!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Didn't you already have a thread about breaking axles?

Most freehubs ought to be fine for you, as long as you stay away from weight weenie stuff. This wheelset might be a good bet.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400002_400038

The rims are well-regarded and the hubs should last longer than the ones you keep breaking.

You'll need a 7-speed cassette and a spacer to make it sit right on the freehub. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Get the biggest tires you can fit on that bike, and run them at the lowest pressure that doesn't make you pinch flat.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx