1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New bike!

mtbr member

New bike!

I just traded a old set of Warp 9 supermoto wheels for this

All stock except for some Avid Juicy 3 brakes.
    The upgrades are some black label platform pedals, a retrospec seat I had laying around, and some WTB Velociraptors. I went with the platform pedals b/c I do not yet have a pair of mtb shoes, def next on the list.

mtbr member

banned
    Sep 2012

Well done!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Old-school. Those lefty forks have a definite following. Ironically, part of it is that they're reputed to be stiffer than their two-sided competition.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I honestly have nothing to compare the head shock too except my rigid surly 1x1, so it feels kinda plush to me lol, my LBS said it is far from a rebuild so I think its just me.

mtbr member
    Is there an adapter so I could switch to a 1 1/8 threadless steer tube for a air fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sweet score! I'm sure there might be an adapter, but why? If its in good shape, keep the lefty. Judging be the picture, it might take a fairly long travel fork (and a bit of $) to move to a dual stanchioned fork and maintain the geometry of the bike. Any idea of the travel of the lefty?

duh
    sweet

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Sweet score! I'm sure there might be an adapter, but why? If its in good shape, keep the lefty. Judging be the picture, it might take a fairly long travel fork (and a bit of $) to move to a dual stanchioned fork and maintain the geometry of the bike. Any idea of the travel of the lefty?
    Its only 100mm of travel.

I went out by myself this morning and met a few guys to ride with, rode her 9.3 miles on our maiden voyage on some single track, it was a blast.

I dug around on ebay and did find an adapter in case of changing the fork up, im not interested in it at the moment, just a thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pretty good deal!!!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post

I went out by myself this morning and met a few guys to ride with, rode her 9.3 miles on our maiden voyage on some single track, it was a blast.

I dug around on ebay and did find an adapter in case of changing the fork up, im not interested in it at the moment, just a thought.
    Double-check me before you spend money, but you should no longer need an adapter.

I believe the inside diameter of the head tube Cannondale uses on their Lefty bikes matches the 1.5" standard.

There are plenty of headsets for that, including those to support 1.5" straight head tubes, tapered head tubes, and 1-1/8" straight head tubes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Glad to participate here. Well, I am not in the favor of trade things but i like your new bike style MTBerNick. I also change my bike accessories like pedals, handle, breaks and some other things in every three months. And i always bought the bike parts at cheap price by using ezcouponsearch.com instead of trading. Now i am try to copy your bike style
    Last edited by shandani; 11-14-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Picture Unrelated
    Read up about needle bearing migration in Lefty forks. I don't know how careful the person who owned it before you was but you will probably need to give it a quick reset of the bearings. It's a pretty easy procedure but it's something that needs to be done periodically with those forks.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Eric at ITSA Bike Shop
    Sep 2007
    Awesome rig! Gives me some great memories They do make adapters to run a standard fork on it. It is a slightly different than a 1.5 headset... very very slight. I'd suggest keeping the lefty though, because it's actually a great fork and is extremely stiff. Just requires specialized tools to work on, but with the right tools, actually very easy to work on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiccami View Post
    Awesome rig! Gives me some great memories They do make adapters to run a standard fork on it. It is a slightly different than a 1.5 headset... very very slight. I'd suggest keeping the lefty though, because it's actually a great fork and is extremely stiff. Just requires specialized tools to work on, but with the right tools, actually very easy to work on.
    Im def gonna keep the lefty, The only upgrade I would do on it will be a NEWER lefty for more ajustability. I am a super newb with any sort of suspension so I will prob just let my LBS do all the fork work. When I got the bike I took it in and they looked over it and made a couple simple ajustments and said the fork was good to go, they recognized the bike from its previous owner.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. If you do the change out, make sure you measure the inside of the headtube. My Cdale Trail was 49mm inside of headtube. Got a Flash, thinking it must be 49mm. My Flash is 50mm inside diamater. I would run a lefty on my Cdale, but all my other bikes are standard forks and I just want the ability to swap out fork/wheelset. Also, there's alot more stem options for 1 1/8 steerer tube.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Call me crazy but I want to make this bike rigid. This is my first bike with suspension and im not really a fan, love the feel of a rigid fork. Im thinking about selling the lefty.

Rogue Exterminator
    Cool bike, now go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, that is awesome, very nice trade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post

If you did change it, you'll be changing the wheel too so why bother. A lefty with a diff fork
    ain't a lefty anymore, so why have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    If you did change it, you'll be changing the wheel too so why bother. A lefty with a diff fork
    ain't a lefty anymore, so why have one.
    I don't only enjoy the bike because of the lefty, I honestly like the way rigid bikes feel, this is my first bike with a suspension fork and I REALLY wanna make it rigid, I just traded my surly 1x1 for a Haro Steel reserve 1.1, I would ride it but im not dedicated enough to ride a oversize bmx bike on the trails, it would be hella fun on singletrack and on some man made jumps but all the uphill here would destroy me with a single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Cool bike, now go ride it.
    Yes sir, Ive had it a week and have had her out for 40 miles already.