1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New Bike?

So Today I finally decided, I wanted to go back out riding. It's been a few years and I always just loved going through the nearby trails; problem is my mountain bike is a bit small, well for a mountain bike that is. My bike fits me more like a BMX, which I kind of like because I grew up with them, however I am wondering if this would be bad for your body seeing as mountain biking and bmx are completely different riding styles. I'm about 5' 10" - 5' 11", and the current frame i believe was 18.5-19" top tube, but the seat tube is only around 11-12". Like I said, I'm thinking of getting a new one because having it fit like a BMX may be a bad idea, plus it may look wierd (though I can't complain it is super light) It does fit 26" rims/tires btw, so what does everyone think? New bike or what?

AZ
    banned
    Get a Mtn. Bike with a proper fit , you will be much happier with it .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Get a Mtn. Bike with a proper fit , you will be much happier with it .
    Alright, I'm looking to get a used bike rather new. I'm not too familiar with bike reputation, but I worked at ashop for a couple of years so I know what to look for when checking out used products. I was just wondering, are giant atx 890 still considered a good bike? I've so far found 2 bikes, one is an ATX 890 and the other is an 06 specialized rockhopper. =\

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey, are you in China? As I know there is no "ATX" in US.... It seems like the ATX Series are only in China mainland.
    I don't think ATX 890 is a good choice. Yeah, it has XTRs, but it only has XTRs. As I know it uses Mavic Crossride wheels, and I don't think XTRs, ATX 8 Frame and Crossride Wheels are good match. Oh, it has FOX, but actually, still, the frame and the wheels were not good enough.
    I don't know about specialized, but, if you are in China Mainland, why not DIY? On this price, in China, DIY is always cheaper and more personal. You can simply go to a bike shop and ask a bike that you need, they will give you some advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    PS
    I read about your profile, you are in CA right?
    For a good and cozy journey and some mountain riding, I think GIANT Anthem X is a good choice.

If your bike is to small for you, maybe you can simply buy a bigger frame. Also I recommend Anthem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloEve
    PS
    I read about your profile, you are in CA right?
    For a good and cozy journey and some mountain riding, I think GIANT Anthem X is a good choice.

If your bike is to small for you, maybe you can simply buy a bigger frame. Also I recommend Anthem.
    Ya I live in Canada, so how he got an ATX 890 I'm unsure. I just heard some people really liked the bike, however as far as I know the last model of the series made is 10+ years old. So I was unsure if it was still an alright bike, but from what you're saying I should stay away. ALso, My price range is really no more than 650, and the Giant anthem x is over 3grand lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you Chinese? If you are we can talk in Chinese... Although I'm studying SAT and going to a US U/College.. English is a bit hard for me now...
    you can contact me via QQ502116763...if you have a qq account...

Well, if you are not... Please tell me your price range again? CA$650?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nah, I can't speak Cantonese or any other language but English. You could teach me =P; the most I know is Ni hao ma xD, and yes my price range is CA$650

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Then how did you learn about ATX890....

Well, here's some advice. Actually an ATX890 costs more than your budget, about 3 grands...
    I think ATX8 series are still good choice, maybe you can consider ATX810/830 (if you could get them). Also I love TREKs. 4300 or 4500 are agree with your price range. At least TREKS are pretty awesome.
    According to GIANT CA Website, I think RINCON/RINCON Disc are not bad.:P

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    And another choice, change your frame only. I think you can go to GIANT, Specialized, TREK or other bike dealers to see a frame that match your price range and good. I don't know about the frames or other bike accessories in CA...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    And another choice, change your frame only. I think you can go to GIANT, Specialized, TREK or other bike dealers to see a frame that match your price range and good. I don't know about the frames or other bike accessories in CA...
    I learned about the ATX 890 cause a guy is selling it used for 400, what kind of shape it is in I canot say but he does say it needs to be tuned up. He says it's too small for him. I was thinking about just getting a new frame/forks. Also, I was looking at the rincon as well xD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If someone really sell ATX890 for 400, buy it, really, just buy.
    An ATX 890 has: Shimano XTR shifts, break set and R/F Derailleur, Mavic Crossride wheel and FOX Fork.
    A new one in China costs about RMB¥22000, about $3000+, so there's no need to explain why to buy it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If someone really sell ATX890 for 400, buy it, really, just buy.
    An ATX 890 has: Shimano XTR shifts, break set and R/F Derailleur, Mavic Crossride wheel and FOX Fork.
    A new one in China costs about RMB¥22000, about $3000+, so there's no need to explain why to buy it...
    I thought they stopped making those? lol the only ones I can find online, or atleast any reviews are all made in the 90's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    might I also add I want to be using the bike for more than just smooth trail. I want to take it through any kind of terrain; however I'm not planning on doing jumps and huge drops, maybe small drops and stuff but that's all for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ATX Series are now only in China mainland, in other country full suspension is more popular but in China more people choose hardtail like ATX... different thoughts, maybe
    GIANT stopped selling ATXs in CA, US many years ago, that's why you could not see any recent reviews...
    The latest ATX 8 in China made in 2009, I love the frame. You could ask the seller when did he buy the bike, or you can upload a photo~

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't mind a full suspension, but I like a good hard tail just as much. I asked him what year it is made, so I'm just waiting for him to get back to me. He doesn't have any pictures, though from what I understand the bike is black and yellow, which is how they were usually made in the 90's, unless they still make them the same colour now, which I highly doubt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    black&yellow could be cool, I know about some new ATX 8s are in B&Y, they are really cool.
    so if you are finding a hardtail, TREK 4s or GIANT Rincon~ I see some guys cost 650 getting TREK 4900, and 4900 is a good one
    or actually you can buy a frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ya, there's also the Specialized rockhopper that other guy was selling used. They're usually 770 or so canadian, he wanted 600 and he's barely used it for trail use. I was hoping to talk him down to 500 or 550. It's a 2006 model =\. I really liked the Giant Rincon tho, I I buy new I think I may go for that

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    http://www.usedottawa.com/classified...50&priceto=800

not sure if you'll have time, but you can look around on there and see anything that catches your eye. That's where I've been looking.