Thread: New Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New Bike

Hey all, I am getting into the Mountain Biking scene in eastern PA and want to tap into the wealth of knowledge that exists here. I am interested in XC riding with the idea of getting into more difficult stuff as I increase my skills. I went to a LBS today looking to get myself a Santa Cruz Heckler and the owner opened my eyes to a Giant Trance XO. They both have the same front and rear shocks. The Trance Specsncan be fount here: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2272/32144/ and the Heckler can be found here: http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/hec....php?builder=1. I can get either one for about $2300. First, are these bikes worth this? What are your thoughts? Which one is the "better deal" if you can apply that generic of a term to it. Thank you for all of your help.

mtbr member
    Depending on your knowledge and experience with bikes, I would first step back for a second, and re justify spending 2300$ for your first mountain bike.
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    the better bike is the one they let you demo for the weekend for about 100 bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yakmastermax
    Depending on your knowledge and experience with bikes, I would first step back for a second, and re justify spending 2300$ for your first mountain bike.
    I hear what you are saying, I started on a Giant hard tail in 1995 and moved to a Trek 4900 hard tail and loved it. I got out of riding for many years due to lack of time and missed it. I have now decided to get back into it and want to get something high quality that I will not have to upgrade in a year or two. Because I have been out of the sport for awhile I don't have a good guage on price and quality. Plus this is my first step into the realm of dual suspension.

mtbr member
    Well...I used my 12y/o HT to get back into the scene. I needed to prove to myself that I was going to ride and I was going to enjoy it.

I've been riding pretty consistently and enjoy it very much. I've found my HT to be a great tool to get my skills back up.

On a recent group ride, the group organizer paid me a complement on my riding skills. Basically said if I ever get on an FS bike, the pack would be chasing rather than leading.

However, it appears a nice AM bike the the Heckler is pretty nice. I've got money down on a trail bike (C'dale Rush4) But in the meantime, I'm putting saddle time on my HT and honing my skills and working on my lungs and legs. My goal for the FS bike is not so much to go faster, but to have a more relaxed ride so I can ride longer rides.

So I would advise to hit the trails. Talk to folks you run into. Get a feel for what folks are riding in the local trails and just rub elbows with the group. Then decide where to plunk your coin.

Members who have read this thread: 0