1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: new bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

new bike

hi all im new here i have 400$ to spend on a new bike...my father has always had trek bikes so i started looking at there hard tails any input would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    problem solved i bought a trek 4300 i took it out today and was pleased

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyD
    problem solved i bought a trek 4300 i took it out today and was pleased
    Have fun on that bike!

Rockflopper
    Wow, I was just going to post the same question.

Right now I have a pretty old Diamondback (Outlook) thats seen its last days. I rode it hard on some pretty technical trails and ended up bending both the front and back rims, and the rear derailuer is pretty messed up.

So instead of spending the time and money to fix that heap, I decided it would be best to just buy a new bike. My budget is the same as the OP, and I also want a hardtail.

I rode my roomates Trek 6500 and was not impressed, so from my research on this site it looks like I should look into either the Diamondback Response or the Gary Fisher Advance? Any thoughts? I ride trails on the weekend and around campus during the week, so I need the bike to be somewhat versatile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moranis

Right now I have a pretty old Diamondback (Outlook) thats seen its last days. I rode it hard on some pretty technical trails and ended up bending both the front and back rims, and the rear derailuer is pretty messed up.

So instead of spending the time and money to fix that heap, I decided it would be best to just buy a new bike. My budget is the same as the OP, and I also want a hardtail.

I rode my roomates Trek 6500 and was not impressed, so from my research on this site it looks like I should look into either the Diamondback Response or the Gary Fisher Advance? Any thoughts? I ride trails on the weekend and around campus during the week, so I need the bike to be somewhat versatile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Might want to look at some cannondale offerings as well, try them all if you can.

College Boy
    I would add in look at what Specialized is offering. They make some great bikes and their frame Geometry is quite a bit difference than Trek's. I was thinking about getting a Trek 4500 and I was pretty set on it. I knew the Rockhopper was about the same leval of a bike. I test road the rockhopper and the Trek 4500 and the Rockhopper I just felt a lot better on. I felt more stretch out and just in a better position hence the reason I ended up choosing the rockhopper.

As for the Gray Fisher saddly I did not take the chance to ride one of those. Maybe in about 2 weeks I will get a chances to test ride my bother's just to see what it is like.

Rockflopper
    Thanks for the recommendations. Once my finals are over, I will have time to check out what the LBS has in stock, and then maybe narrow the choices down a little.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moranis

i can offer some advice on the GF advance if you haven't purchased a bike yet...eek, 2 month old thread...yeah...i bought an advance last summer and my biggest complaint was the seat...so i upgraded to a bontrager aluminum seatpost and the bontrager CRZ sport seat, now i absolutely love it!