1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

New Bike 2014 Haro Flightline 29 Trail better pedals?

Hi everyone!!

I recently purchased my first mountain bike (2014 Haro Flightline 29 Trail) and have started looking into trails and locations I can take it to go riding.

I started riding around my neighborhood and going in and out of uneven surfaces with gravel and ditches to get a feel for the bike and noticed my pedals already cracking. Im 6'1 @ 216lbs

After this occurred I started to doubt the quality of the bike and thought to my self maybe I could have bought something better for the money spent. The bike was $699.99 with a helmet.

Any advice would be recommended on better pedals that could be added.

Thanks!

New Bike 2014 Haro Flightline 29 Trail better pedals?-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    anything with removable pins will work, google some they go from $20-$100, get the ones u like the most, or u can start clip less right of the bat, up to u and what trails ur going to ride, if ur gonna hit it hard then go with the pricier stuff like cromo spindles, sealed bearings and such, if not i wouldn't worry about it

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by joel787 View Post
    anything with removable pins will work, google some they go from $20-$100, get the ones u like the most, or u can start clip less right of the bat, up to u and what trails ur going to ride, if ur gonna hit it hard then go with the pricier stuff like cromo spindles, sealed bearings and such, if not i wouldn't worry about it
    I was looking to get some of these

Online Mountain Bike, Road Bike, & Cycling Accessories Superstore

Shimano Saint MX80 Pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    perfect, a lot of people stand by them as being great and fair priced, now u probably need grippy shoes like 5/10 or cheaper skateboard shoes so they grip better, u shins will thank you

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    perfect, a lot of people stand by them as being great and fair priced, now u probably need grippy shoes like 5/10 or cheaper skateboard shoes so they grip better, u shins will thank you
    Went back and exchanged it for a 2014 Marin Bobcat trail 29er. 19 inch. Now I will upgrade the pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    cool, hopefully u went with the air fork, definitely a nice step up

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 0r30 View Post
    Went back and exchanged it for a 2014 Marin Bobcat trail 29er. 19 inch. Now I will upgrade the pedals
    Good choice. Way better fork for trails and to set the sag for your weight.
    These pedals will work with trailrunners or other running shoes. They are thin to avoid pedal strikes. Light and have rounded pins so they won't tear up the soles of regular runners.
    Origin8 ULTIM8 Slimline Platform Mountain Bike Downhill Pedals Black | eBay
    More recommendations in the pedal thread in the All mountain section.
    You need technique also. Part way through this vid the 'low heels' method is shown. Practice it and you will stick on rough/fun trails. Watch his vid on cornering too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Good choice. Way better fork for trails and to set the sag for your weight.
    These pedals will work with trailrunners or other running shoes. They are thin to avoid pedal strikes. Light and have rounded pins so they won't tear up the soles of regular runners.
    Origin8 ULTIM8 Slimline Platform Mountain Bike Downhill Pedals Black | eBay
    More recommendations in the pedal thread in the All mountain section.
    You need technique also. Part way through this vid the 'low heels' method is shown. Practice it and you will stick on rough/fun trails. Watch his vid on cornering too.

Thanks you very much for the video. Im looking up some of Fabians other videos on youtube.

cool, hopefully u went with the air fork, definitely a nice step up
    Yes it is the one with the air fork