mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New Bike "1st post"

Hello everyone! I'm new here and just recently bought a bike. Been thinking of getting one for a wile, but haven't due to having to drive quite a bit to get anywhere descent to ride.
    I picked it up off my brother. He's had it for about 2 years now and he's rode it less than 10 times. He owed me a bit of money. So, I figured it was worth a fair trade. I got it for alot less than he paid for it.

This is the 1st bike I've had in probably 6 years. So I'm not very educated on upgrades or anything like that.
    It's starting to rust a bit on the breaks and the bolts. Other than that it's a great bike. The seat is pretty unforgiving!! But I like the look of it and everything.

I'm going to stop in at my local bike shop and pick up a helmet and some riding gloves. Maybe look into what kind of gadgets they have available. Could anyone suggest and provide links for good reliable internet stores?

The type of riding I plan on doing, is trail riding.
    If anyone has any suggestions on upgrades or tips on maintenance, let me know.

It's a Mongoose Blackcomb.
    I know it's a $300 bike, but it's good for a start to see if I actually like off road biking.

New Bike "1st post"-img_5913_zps3f310cae.jpgNew Bike "1st post"-img_5918_zps9aa51c2f.jpgNew Bike "1st post"-img_5915_zps787227e8.jpgNew Bike "1st post"-img_5914_zps86baefa4.jpgNew Bike "1st post"-img_5916_zpsb805e3a4.jpgNew Bike "1st post"-img_5917_zps5d2e8e62.jpg

mtbr member
    Just ride and have some fun! Best of luck with your new bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Have fun, but don't get your frock caught in the derailleur

I ride bikes
    My advice is sell it and buy a decent bike. That thing is 44lbs, is not well designed, is not made for anything but bike paths, and the gearing wont be much fun on any steep hills.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't bolt any money to it. At least, beyond maybe pedals or a saddle. There's a sticky on department store bikes in this forum...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I hope he didn't owe you a lot...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ride it and build up your muscles! A lot of people scoff at beginner bikes but we all start somewhere! Anyone who wants to keep with it knows you eventually upgrade parts and/or your whole bike as your skills improve and you want to ride more challenging terrain.

I ride my friend's GMC Denali Walmart road bike all the time. Initially the wheels were bent, the handlebars angled all wrong, the brakes were misadjusted and inoperable, etc. From the store it felt like a piece of crap. After about an hour of tweaking and straightening it was riding much better. Get on YouTube and read up on brake and wheel adjustment if anything feels off on the Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I figured just ride and see how I like it. Having the back problems I have might cause a problem...So, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments guys!