Thread: New!

mtbr member
    May 2010

New!

Heya, I'm Dan and I'm just starting to really get into MTB. Been on bikes (mostly BMX) ever since I was a kid, took a break during the later parts of high school and first few years of college. Moving back home a year or so ago, I looked at the bikes in the garage and thought it'd be a fun way to stay in shape for snowboarding and have some fun in the summer.

I've been having a lot of fun messing around on trails in a reservation down the street from my house on a crappy, old, rigid Mongoose.

I'm graduating this year, so that's generating some funds to get myself an actual mountain bike. I've been pointed to the Specialized stumpjumper or enduro by the stores I've been visiting (from the research I've been doing, it seems like everyone asks which one to get!). I'm sorta leaning toward the enduro, as I had a blast doing minor DH stuff at Sunday River last year.

I'm finding the enduro to be $2800; I don't have a set budget, but that's definitely the most I want to spend.

I'm pretty avid about snowboarding, so know the money that goes into stuff doesn't always reflect what they're worth. Basically, I want to be sure I'm buying something that's worthwhile to me and isn't over the top/beyond my ability. Am I looking in the right direction, or completely lost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I wouldn't worry about the bike being over the top. It sounds as if you are still young, snowboard plenty, and are in descent shape. you probably want a bike that is going to be good because though your skills may not be the greatest right now you will want a bike that can handle everything for when you start killing the trails!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So I went and test rode a bunch of bikes today. I checked out the Enduro, Stumpjumper, FSR XC, Pitch, and Cannodale Rize.

After all of them, I think I found myself still coming back to the Stumpjumper and Enduro.

The Rize felt very comfortable, but the guy at the store said if I were to get into hitting drops and whatnot, it wouldn't be the best bike for it. The Pitch was pretty sweet, but sorta didn't really see the difference between it and the Enduro; I guess it was sorta more geared to freeride? The FSR XC was pretty nice too.

From what the guy was saying, it sounded like the Enduro was something that I would be able to progress with. It'd be good for trails, but also handle drops and light downhill stuff when I'm a bit better. The Stumpjumper was gonna end up being something along the same lines, but more trail focused.

One minor issue is that the store I test rode at has kinda a douchy service crew, and there's a store much closer to my house I was at the other day. The guy said he'd try and work on the price for me since I wanted to buy there.

There are some lift accessed places a few hours away, I tried out one last summer and was in love.

So I'm gonna head over to the store to order the 2010 Enduro tomorrow. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Save some money for season pass and lift, you'll be paying it twice a year now. Get gear

Members who have read this thread: 0