Thread: New at 42

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New at 42

Never too late to start?

I BMX'd a good 35 years ago and nearly ruled my age in the Phoenix area for a few years in the late 70's/early 80's, and just got back on a bike about 3 weeks ago. Aside from some really weak legs, my control is surprisingly still pretty good I think. Working on the old legs...

On a whim, I picked up a used DB Recoil and within 2 weeks I added a DB Overdrive 29er. My oldest son now has the Recoil so I can have a partner to ride with- lucky kid!

Learned a lot from this joint and my love of the pedal bike is restored. I can't offer much wisdom, but I'll be sucking in as much as is doled out. Learning to tune my own as I used to when I was a kid will be my side aim...I used to strip my old Pro-Fab down every week!

Thanks for all the great advice and stories, I've only skimmed the surface here- looking forward to developing and getting out into God's country for some real riding!
    17 Mission 1
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp
    11 D'back Overdrive 29'er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Xer View Post
    Never too late to start?

I BMX'd a good 35 years ago and nearly ruled my age in the Phoenix area for a few years in the late 70's/early 80's, and just got back on a bike about 3 weeks ago. Aside from some really weak legs, my control is surprisingly still pretty good I think. Working on the old legs...

On a whim, I picked up a used DB Recoil and within 2 weeks I added a DB Overdrive 29er. My oldest son now has the Recoil so I can have a partner to ride with- lucky kid!

Learned a lot from this joint and my love of the pedal bike is restored. I can't offer much wisdom, but I'll be sucking in as much as is doled out. Learning to tune my own as I used to when I was a kid will be my side aim...I used to strip my old Pro-Fab down every week!

Thanks for all the great advice and stories, I've only skimmed the surface here- looking forward to developing and getting out into God's country for some real riding!
    ^^ Welcome!! We are glad you are here!

I am 40 and just took up MBing in Febuary and it has practically changed my life (for the better). Im in love with it. Im sure you will be too.

Great group of people here, dont be afraid to ask questions.

Ride safe and have fun!

Just Ride !
    Welcome back to this addicting thing we call riding
    And welcome to mtbr
    I am also 42, got addicted in 2006 and wish I got addicted sooner..
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Welcome, I also just got back into biking this year. This spring after buying my 12 year old his first full size bike I ended up buying bikes for the whole family. At 37 (just truned 38) I bought myself a used 08 Diamondback Overdrive and my 10 and 12 year old sons and I have been going out hitting the trails. Pace is pretty leisurely since the 10 year old is pretty slow on his little 20" wheels, but we are having a blast. And here and there I get to go out with a friend on a "big boy" ride without the kids to realize just how dang out of shape I am in.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good for you! I am in the same boat. Lots of BMX and a huge break in bike appreciation. At 47 I started back at the first of the year and now have 5 MTB's and 6 "kid" bikes. Getting the legs and lungs back took a month of daily (15+ miles) riding. Now if I could only get my kids to enjoy it as much as I do!?!

Huckin' trails
    I have the reverse problem... My dad's now 60 and I can't get him back on a bike... He prefer to go fishing, while I prefer biking, not that I don't like to fish, but I would like him to get a bit more in shape...

How you guys do ? I own myself 5 bikes, my little brother have 3 and we have like 3 other bikes in plain storage in the basement, and I just can't help but asking him every time to get out riding with me...

Help ?

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @David C

Just a suggestion. Get a trailer and tell the old man, "we need to go fishing". Find some good spots that are easiest to get to by bike. Load the trailer with gear and away you go.

If your dads not interested in biking, combine the fishing and biking.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wavejim View Post
    Good for you! I am in the same boat. Lots of BMX and a huge break in bike appreciation. At 47 I started back at the first of the year and now have 5 MTB's and 6 "kid" bikes. Getting the legs and lungs back took a month of daily (15+ miles) riding. Now if I could only get my kids to enjoy it as much as I do!?!
    Wish I was able to do those 15+ mile daily rides to get inot shape! Don't want to turn this into a b#$%h session, but I work 7 days/60+ hours per week and to make it better my wife had a surgery this summer which requires lots of time/attention from the rest of us. My sons and I LOve The riding but haven't been able to do nearly as much of it as we would prefer. But next summer will be better, I am sure of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Congrats man, hope it makes you feel good!

Huckin' trails
    @David C

Just a suggestion. Get a trailer and tell the old man, "we need to go fishing". Find some good spots that are easiest to get to by bike. Load the trailer with gear and away you go.

If your dads not interested in biking, combine the fishing and biking.
    Yeah, I've tried that too, but he needs me for fishing, because when we go for salmon or lake trout, I have to work the down-riggers and lines while he drive, otherwise those Adirondack would have got raped every weekend by 150mm of raw freeride...

I think he need more motivation...
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Jeeze, I keep seeing my bike with down-riggers attached and a 40 lb salmon tossing me around....

Huckin' trails
    Jeeze, I keep seeing my bike with down-riggers attached and a 40 lb salmon tossing me around....
    Lol. But it's kinda funny since it's so ironic that sarcasm might be all over the place or hidden really deep...

Just Ride !
    So what you are saying about the "down riggers "/ combining fishing and riding is that you hook a line to your seat post and when you catch the big one you take off riding to reel the fish in?
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    I started MTB at 40 a year and a half ago. Just keeps getting better! The one down side however is an acute awareness of pain, so I'm not as prone to huck my bike of any old jump making me a somewhat conservative rider. But I've nothing to prove to anybody else so its all good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    I started MTB at 40 a year and a half ago. Just keeps getting better! The one down side however is an acute awareness of pain, so I'm not as prone to huck my bike of any old jump making me a somewhat conservative rider. But I've nothing to prove to anybody else so its all good.
    This resembles me. I had to switch to a hardtail for now as the bounce feedback I was getting was making life rough for me at first. Being a know nothing amateur, I just want to enjoy it. Normally, if I am out in the wilderness I am camping/shooting/hunting...now I can bring the bike and add another activity to the repertoire.

AZ is so incredibly loaded with public lands, awesome trails, and scenic spots, it seems almost wrong to not get all you can out of it all. Yep- I am also very aware of pain these days, but as I always say- pain is God's way of reminding you you are still alive! It goes away from time to time and usually comes with a neat/funny/heroic story attached to it!

Last night I was out practicing wheelies...as a kid I could ride one at will for as long as I wanted...somehow, I had that feeling I could regain it last night. I ought to know better, but, what the heck?
    17 Mission 1
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yup its never too late. Im 30 and in the beginning of the year I realized my body wasnt it use to be and Im out of shape. In April I started working out and took up mountain biking. So far I lost 25 pounds and in the best shape of my life except for the bad back and knees cracking everytime I stand up lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I started riding again 3 yrs ago at age 53 and started racing locally 2 yrs ago. I usually end up at the back of the pack but you will never get a workout like you do in a race. I plan on riding and racing as long as my body allows me to do it. My goal is to be the oldest guy racing and riding. Recovery has been better for me since I started using fish oil.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    welcome back!

mtbr member
    Good on you! I started 14 years ago at 47. Still getting better, a little at a time.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am 52. I bought a MTB a month ago.

I've been riding since I was about 6, and I have a garage full of custom built road bikes, but the MTB thing is new to me.

Finally had one too many run in's with morons who think they can drive and send emails at the same time, so I picked up a Kona Kula Gold and decided to stay off the roads until after summer is over, and all the tourists have gone home and it might be safe again.

Having fun with the fat tires so far.

mtbr member
    I am 50 and started 6 months ago.I 'm loving every minute of this.I like working on the trails as much as I like riding them.I've been riding 3-4 times a week and love the workout that I get from it.Plus it is alot safer than riding on the street.
    Yes dear I've been in the woods,look at the blood

mtbr member
    I too started late in life. Was 35 when I started road ridding, and 49 when I started Mtnbiking/racing. Still ride, LOVE it, just don't go as fast or as crazy as before. Just turned 65 am recuperating from my 4th hip replacement, and hope to get to ride again real soon! Done many 100KM rides in the dirt wanna do my forst 100 miler in the dirt hopefully next year.Welcome to all and most welcome to all "Oldies" (whatever that may mean!?)
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just got back into riding at 39. Rode mountain bikes quite a bit about 10 years ago but one thing lead to another and the bike hung in the garage for almost 10 years. Well I got a new bike and a new motivation to ride.

mtbr member
    I started mtbing last Spring shortly after turning 55. I may have casually ridden some type of bike since about 1959, but mtbing seems to be the most interesting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerRick View Post
    I started riding again 3 yrs ago at age 53 and started racing locally 2 yrs ago. I usually end up at the back of the pack but you will never get a workout like you do in a race. I plan on riding and racing as long as my body allows me to do it. My goal is to be the oldest guy racing and riding. Recovery has been better for me since I started using fish oil.
    That last line...I forgot to get me some more krill oil with a high astaxanthin content...it is nothing short of miraculous.
    17 Mission 1
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats, a lot of us have similar stories. I am now 37 years old and purchased a used Diamondback in the spring, and it was the best thing that I did. I love biking and recently after learning my frame was a little on the small side upgraded myself to a new Trek. I wish I had taken up biking years ago, then I may have been in better shape. Take advantage of the forum and learn as much as you can. I am addicted.

-Shawn

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Good on you! I started 14 years ago at 47. Still getting better, a little at a time.
    I bmxed 30 years ago. I have an old school GT-RTSII that I never ride, because It needs constant tuning. Looking to get back in the 29er riding mode

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by hoofmeat View Post
    I bmxed 30 years ago. I have an old school GT-RTSII that I never ride, because It needs constant tuning. Looking to get back in the 29er riding mode
    I love tuning bikes... If you ever consider to get a 29er, give me that old GT

David

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Congrats!

I just turned 42 in May and I have been riding mountain bikes for a long time. It is my way of releaving stress from work and life. It's just you, the bike and nature. That is awesome that you get quality time riding with your boy. My son is turning nine in November and I have already started preping him for mountain biking. He has a Trek 220 and is getting use to it on the dirt. How do you like your 29ner? I'm looking for a 29ner right now because I snapped my Azonic hardtail. Have a fantastic day!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 43 and coming back from a long break. I'm an avid runner as well so I wasn't a couch potato during the time off. However, nothing beats a bike and a long trail. Congrats on the comeback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Boy this IS addicting! It's been a month and I now have 4 bikes, as you see in my sig. I keep finding deals too good to pass up on great bikes! I look like a Diamondback advertisement...but I do love those bikes.

I am riding almost every day- only missed 2 that I can recall. Hit my first mountain park trail last weekend and even though my old legs caused me to have to walk about 100 yards of the steeper incline of the 1.5 mile trail loop, the downhill sections and the climbing over rocky terrain was such a thrill. When my quads are in shape, it's gonna get real fun!

Thanks to all for the inspiration- I ain't so old after all. Riding with my sons, sweating and catching some scenery...man life is good.
    17 Mission 1
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp

Members who have read this thread: 0