mtbr member
    May 2010

New 2009 Trek 4300 for $299... Is this a good price?

Hello, could someone please tell me help me price this bike. I was offered a new 2009 Trek 4300 with V-brakes for $299 at a local store, is this a good price?

local jackass
    yes if it fits you correctly!
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great Price Buy it NOW!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks! Would you recommend going with Forge Sawback 5xx Hard-Tail instead, which has disk breaks but currently at $450 OTD at target.com? And why or why not?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ytka98
    Thanks! Would you recommend going with Forge Sawback 5xx Hard-Tail instead, which has disk breaks but currently at $450 OTD at target.com? And why or why not?
    Well, before everyone jumps you for a "department store" bike, they should know it has Deore derailleurs, Dart1 fork and Avid BB5 brakes. Not a bad set of components. All that really is left to know is if the frame is good and if you can get it assembled competantly. Also what is the warranty and how does it compare to Trek? If you can ride the Forge and like it MORE than the Trek, it might be worth it. If however it is a toss up? Go with the Trek. you should probably get the Trek anyway, as it has a LONG reputation and is a good company.

Professional Speed Bump
    Forget the Forge. Go with the Trek.

V-brakes these days works just as well as mechanical discs.

If you want discs for aesthetic reasons, then...buy a pair of Mavic XM117 disc wheels for $100-120, buy a pair of Avid BB5 or BB7 for $60-$80.

In the end, you might spend about $50 or so more than the Forge but you will have a frame that is far better and is worth several times more.

White Knuckle Rider
    Link for the Trek or it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I bought a 2009 Trek 4300 last year for $550. If I could find one again for $299, I would buy a second one so I can take friends biking with me. Very solid frame. Don't be afraid to upgrade that fork eventually though. The RST Gila is garbage. I put a Tora 318 on mine and it makes a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge
    I bought a 2009 Trek 4300 last year for $550. If I could find one again for $299, I would buy a second one so I can take friends biking with me. Very solid frame. Don't be afraid to upgrade that fork eventually though. The RST Gila is garbage. I put a Tora 318 on mine and it makes a world of difference.
    I totally agree, it's a great bike with a couple of minor upgrades. Mine is mostly stock with the exception of the pedals and Fizik saddle and it is great. I'm looking into getting a new fork and disc brakes but might just buy a new bike and keep this one for friends to use. Either way it is a great bike for a great price I would buy it NOW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuera_99
    I totally agree, it's a great bike with a couple of minor upgrades. Mine is mostly stock with the exception of the pedals and Fizik saddle and it is great. I'm looking into getting a new fork and disc brakes but might just buy a new bike and keep this one for friends to use. Either way it is a great bike for a great price I would buy it NOW.
    I'm just a relative beginner myself, but... When I upgraded my fork the LBS accidentally got me a disc brake model. So at their expense they gave me disc brakes in the front. IMO, while the improved modulation is nice, v-brakes worked just fine for me and it's hardly worth the expense. If I were you I would upgrade the fork and put the rest of the money you were going to spend into the "future bike fund." Even if you buy a better bike you're going to want to upgrade the fork eventually from what I read around here.

Members who have read this thread: 0