1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New 2008 GF Piranha

Hey everyone!

Myself and a few friends have just recently gotten into mountain biking. We are mainly looking to do trails like the McKenzie River Trail, and things like that in the Oregon area.

I went out a purchased a Trek 4300 Disc about a month ago, but unfortunately I got hit by a car riding last Monday... so I just purchased a new GF 2008 Piranha.

The shocks on my Trek were quite a bit stiffer compared to this GF. I Have the rockshox tora 302's on it. I'm a big guy, 6'1 at 260 lbs and the tora's travel quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I would bottom them out if I went off a 2 foot drop or something.

How can I adjust them? I read a post on the suspension thread, but it really didn't make sense to me. I tried twisting the top nob on the other side of the lock out, but that didn't seem to do anything.

The terms rebound and preload are all foreign to me and I don't want to screw anything up.

Looks like I will also have to look out for the broken seal/oil leak problem with the rockshox as well.

If you have a coil spring you likely need the firmest spring they offer (and at 260 it might not be enough). If you have an air spring you need more air pressure. Try downloading a manual from Sram, should explain how to use the adjustments on your fork.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    If you have a coil spring you likely need the firmest spring they offer (and at 260 it might not be enough). If you have an air spring you need more air pressure. Try downloading a manual from Sram, should explain how to use the adjustments on your fork.
    I plan on losing another 40 lbs as I have already dropped 30 in the past 2 1/2 months, so hopefully this won't be an issue anymore. Not to mention I don't plan on jumping or going off drops anyway.

I am looking at the tora 302 on the sram website and it say's: Solo Air when I hover over the feature, but in the description is says:

It looks like there may be 2 different type of Tora 302s? One with air, and one with coils? How can I tell which one I have? It doesn't list it anywhere on GF site, or on the fork itself.

I have looked all over the sram website and haven't been able to find out where, or how much a new spring would be. Any ideas?
    Last edited by CoreyVisto; 06-27-2008 at 01:37 PM.

When I looked at the sram website it looked like it comes in both coil and air models. Look carefully on the fork for labels/markings, might be there. Didn't your shop explain anything on how to adjust your fork? If you don't know to add air, or there's no valve for such, I'd suspect you've got a coil, but I can't tell from where I sit. Did you download the manual and compare that to your fork? Maybe take it back to the shop and have them show you how to adjust it.

Congrats on the weight loss, but even with some more lbs off the fork likely didn't come from the manufacturer with a spring for your current or goal weight. If it's an air fork you just need to add air.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MTBR Member
    Yeah I have looked at that SRAM website as well...sorta confusing. Anyways you have the coil spring loaded shock. I picked up a tassajara not too long ago and it has the solo air model of the 302. It has a spring on one side and air chamber on the other. If you are looking to change the springs out I would just take it back to your shop and they should be able to get the firm springs and put them in there for you. But be sure to hang onto those other springs it sounds like you might want them back in there soon. Anyways good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks. I'm going back there to exchange the bike for a 19 inch piranha. The 21 is just too big for me. I'll ask about the new coils if they don't seem too frustrated with me :X