1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: new

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

new

hey every one, after wanting to get into the sport i finally did i just got a Diamond back Axis, so far i like it alot. any sugestions for first upgrades! or any good info it would help alot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Welcome to a world of fun

What year and model is it TR, TT, TT pro? If it's a new bike usually the first suggested major upgrade is the wheelset.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

bike

Its the 05 Axis i was thinking of disc brakes or wheel set still trying to learn about everything this is the bike http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=13&itemid=130

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred7999
    Its the 05 Axis i was thinking of disc brakes or wheel set still trying to learn about everything this is the bike http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=13&itemid=130
    Why do you want to upgrade something? That bike is very well specked (at least, from the link you sent). In my personal opinion, I wouldn't change anything in that bike for a while. If everything works fine, ride it for a while and then you can decide on what you need to.

Maybe disc brakes would be great, specially if you ride in muddy conditions, which is where disc shine. Your current hubs should have centerlock (Shimano LX). You could buy some Shimano LX or XT disc brakes for it (I don't know if the Hone's go well) without having to replace anything else (well, the brakes and levers). If you want your brakes from other brand you will need to change hubs. Ain't Shimano grand? Actually, the XT disc brakes are pretty good, I have them and really like them.

Probably replace components just for fit reasons, like stem or handlebars, but that only if you feel you would like something wider/narrower, longer/closer. Or the saddle, again, only if after a few rides you don't like how it feels. By the way, WTB makes great saddles.

...the wave won't brek
    Man that is a pritty decked out bike X-9 and XT Ders, good fork, not too much need to upgrade anything.

Do the Wheels have disc hubs?

If they do go for Hydrolic Disc breaks
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

sweet bike

How much does it weigh? How much do you weigh? The reason I ask is that when you start buying wheelsets and the like your weight and how you use them really starts to affect their durability.

If you just got it I really wouldn't upgrade anything yet, the bike is nicely spec'd out as is. After you ride it a little see how your body feels after or while you're riding, e.g., wrists, hands, rear, neck, back. Then you can see if some minor upgrades will help and here's what I'd recommend:

Race Face Deus Stem (make sure your lbs fits you just right to get the correct length)
    Race Face Dues Low Riser bars
    With a hardtail if your rear and kidneys start to hurt you can get a thudbuster for your rear I hear they work well or a different WTB saddle. But for the saddle stick with WTB they have the best saddles going now.

For now leave the brakes alone. Then next year you'll know what you really need. After 5 years with v-brakes they still work great for me, although I'm only 155 lbs and I really hate slowing down anyways.

Next year get a new set of rims and I recommend Cane Creek Zonos SS Disc bang for the buck you can't get a lighter faster wheelset. Then for the disc set up get whatever you want.

Good luck.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Why do you want to upgrade something? That bike is very well specked (at least, from the link you sent). In my personal opinion, I wouldn't change anything in that bike for a while. If everything works fine, ride it for a while and then you can decide on what you need to.

Maybe disc brakes would be great, specially if you ride in muddy conditions, which is where disc shine. Your current hubs should have centerlock (Shimano LX). You could buy some Shimano LX or XT disc brakes for it (I don't know if the Hone's go well) without having to replace anything else (well, the brakes and levers). If you want your brakes from other brand you will need to change hubs. Ain't Shimano grand? Actually, the XT disc brakes are pretty good, I have them and really like them.

Probably replace components just for fit reasons, like stem or handlebars, but that only if you feel you would like something wider/narrower, longer/closer. Or the saddle, again, only if after a few rides you don't like how it feels. By the way, WTB makes great saddles.
    Read above.