1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Never Happened Before

Ok, i know this can be caused by alot of stuff, but i have never had it happen to me until yesterday. I was just standing at work and all the sudden I get a major lower back pain (not sure if it was a nerve or disc) but it brought me to my knees. I have always been moderately active with weights etc, but never did any biking until a few weeks ago. I havent noticed anything indicating that i am pushing to hard or anything. I usally do 10-15 miles every other day and have been doing around 30 miles every sunday. Has anyone else ever had that happen when they first started riding? Could it be the position i ride in or does my back just need to get used to riding? Thanks in advance!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    could be MANY things....including doubling to tripling your ride length.

but if something so painful that it causes you to drop to your knees I'd go see a doc....and NOT seek advice in a cycling noob forum.

my .02
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

No good in rock gardens..
    That sounds very unusual. I've had lower back discomfort from riding, and severe muscle soreness from heavy lifting at the gym. None of it was drop to the floor material.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sounds like you may have a back ache.

mtbr member
    If it were a continuing pain i would consider seeing a doc, however it was short lived and i was uncertain if it could be something i was doing wrong on the bike since prior to riding it had never happened.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

but if something so painful that it causes you to drop to your knees I'd go see a doc....and NOT seek advice in a cycling noob forum.

my .02
    ^ + what he said. A bike forum is no way to diagnoss a back pain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You may be going at it a little to hard. Going from zero to 75 miles a week is a pretty dramatic change in a short period of time. You might want to back off a little and give things time to adjust.

That said, your back is nothing to screw around with. If it were that bad, I would get it checked out BEFORE I did any more long rides.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Are you stretching good after your rides? Core work?

mtbr member
    Coffee, I actually follow the P90x program so i am doing alot of strecthing and yes a good bit of core (probably not enough, that is my most missed session). I do stretch for about 20min before the rides, but to be honest i dont do much after the ride. Guess it would probably be a good idea to start some strecths afterward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    core is my biggest neglect also. Stretching after the ride is very very important. I do at least 20 min after every ride. After races I stretch for about 10 min then do a few miles of cool down then a big stretch session. I used to get the same back problems you described. since I started stretching good I have not had a problem for over 3 years.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

my .02

/\ This x infinity, see the doc.

mtbr member
    See a Doc.
    Round and round we go