1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Needs advise: Fuji Tahoe 2.0 vs. Airborne Guardian 2.0 - which one is good deal?

Hi there,

I am totally new to mountain bike. Like I said, I need your advise on a Fuji Tahoe 2.0 (available on Fuji Bicycles Tahoe 2.0 Shimano SLX/XT Complete Bike | Backcountry.com) or an Airborne Guardian 2.0 (available at Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0).

Both are at the same prices at USD599. Which one, in your opinion, is a better deal?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was in the same boat a few days ago. I read and research both bikes intensively. My buddy even got the same Fuji Tahoe 2.0 recently and I had a chance to look at it. Both bikes have good components. The big question is 29" or 26"?? Only you can decide on which one you like better. It's an endless debate.
    For me, I went for the Fuji Tahoe 1.0 because of the full Shimano XT build. For $100 more, I felt it was a better buy. I just sold my FS 29er and wanted to get back on a 26" HT. I felt the FS 29er was overkill for the type of riding I was doing. Nothing wrong with the 29er and I'm sure I'll get another one down the road, but a 26" is still plenty for our local trails here. Both bikes seems to be really good deals, but you have to decide between 29 or 26 first. Good luck.

mtbr member
    The Tahoe is a better deal, as it has better components top to bottom. If you want a 26er that would be a great first bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Needs advise: Fuji Tahoe 2.0 vs. Airborne Guardian 2.0 - which one is good deal?-tahoe.jpgHere's a real photo of what the 2.0 looks like. Pretty good looking bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. Unfortunately, the Fuji has gone out of stock on backcountry.com :-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Fuji was a great deal. Only drawback was being a 26". Keep shopping around, someone found a 2012 Tahoe 2.0 29er on a similar deal.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    if your not dead set on a 26er, don't count out the Airborne. i was looking for a HT 29er, and after a lot of research i decided on the Guardian 2.0. I was on a pretty tight budget and couldn't find a better "bang for the buck" than the Airborne. it has way better components than anything else in it's price range, with maybe the exception of the motobecane fantom 29, but that just wasn't for me.

the Fuji looks like a great deal too, like the others said it just comes down to 26 vs 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you see yourself upgrading at somepoint then I'd probably choose the Airborne guardian 2.0 and imo comes in way a better looking paint scheme and relatively newer model components 2013-2014, that tahoe is 2011.

Though you might be making the same mistake I made, buying a sub 1000$ bike doesn't save you as much as going up the next rung up the ladder as you would want to upgrade some components eventually (wheelset/suspension/etc..).

Personally I wouldn't choose either, but save some money, bite bullet and either wait for a clearance sale to snag a good deal at 1200-1400$, or get the airborne goblin.