1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Get your popcorn ready!
    Jun 2008

Needed Essentials

Hey, I have a rockhopper 08 disc and was wondering what else a bike owner should have to go with it. My bday is coming up in a week or two and my g/f is bugging me about what I want. All I have for my bike so far is A. My bike. and B. an $ 80 dollar helmet. I'm guessing I need tubes and stuff like that, but I don't even know what kind of tubes to tell her to get lol, sorry i'm a big beginner! I did tell her to get me this book though! http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mas...6056243/?itm=5

beer is good for u
    Tube(s)
    multi-tool (with all sizes for components on your bike)
    levers(optional) can get away without these on mtb's most of the time..
    pump or co2 if proficient. I recommend, and carry a pump.
    patch kit, in case you miss a thorn and flat more than once. or twice.... thus reasoning for a pump above instead of co2
    spare 5 or 10 dollars

That's what I carry on the bike, and race kit. All but the pump fits in my seat pack. Pump goes in my camelback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Dont forget a seat bag and/ or hydration pack with pockets for the gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hydration Pack, good pair of gloves and as lame as a gift as it may seem...biking socks...you can never have enough. A good multi-tool is also a must. I just helped someone fix their chain on a trail and they would have had to hike-a-bike for 5 miles to get back to their car.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have that book, not too bad. It helped my wife learn some techniques. Also check out Zinn and the art of Mountain Bike Maintance. I'll second everything listed above. Also, padded shorts. I can't believe I rode so long without them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    chain tool if it's not on the multi-tool
    power link
    first aid supplies

College Boy
    Hydro pack, Chain tool (saved me from walking 3 miles out once.)
    Multitool, Gloves and I say a frame pump.

When I ride I have my helmet, MULE (hydropack), Gloves, chain tool, frame pump, spare tube or 2, Tire levers, and multi tool.

I have also used all the above items on the trail at least once. if not multiple times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    2hottay: "Needed essentials. . .", kind of repetitiously redundant by repeating yourself - if it's "essential", it's probably "needed". "Your b-day is coming up in a week or two. . ." - geez, you can't remember your birthday?

Timeless: "I say a frame pump", and nobody knows where on the frame you attach the damn thing. . . I think you mean "shock-pump".

Okay, okay. . . I apologize for being a wise-ass. . .jus' having a little fun. C'mon, we're all mountain bikers on this forum; if we can't laugh at ourselves, we might as well be "roadies" ("oh no, you didn't just go there. . .")

First, you can differentiate the two tube types by their valves. A "Schrader-valve" is the same as the valve-stem on your car-tires. . . the other ("Presta-valve") is not like the one on your car-tires. (That's the easiest way I can describe the difference. . .)

Second, your g/f is looking to buy you some goodies. . . stoked! Most girls love clothes shopping - tell her your waist size and tell her you'd like riding-shorts - let her know if you dig on "baggies" or "lycras". Maybe throw the hint that a jersey would be cool too. . . you'll quickly discover that cotton isn't the best choice for dissipation of heat (sweat).

A "hydration pack" is invaluable. . . Camelback's "MULE" is probably the best - 100oz water capacity and plenty room for. . . mini-pump, shock-pump, mini-tool (not a bad idea to check it for an 8mm hex just in case your crank-arm bolts loosen and a torx T25 for your rotors), definitely a chain-tool, couple of spare tubes and a patch-kit, maybe some spare links of chain, couple of zip-ties, and last, but not least, mountain-money (known commonly as toilet-paper).

. . .hope this helps! Boy, you see, start out as a wise-ass and end up writing a short story. . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am not sure, if carrying a shock pump is really essential. I had a rear shock Fox Float R for nearly 3 years, never was in need to inflate on trail(actually, I inflated it just 3-4 times, at home, that's it).
    A patch kit is certainly essential, you may very easily get more flats than you carry spare tubes. If you have sealant in the tubes(highly recommended!), take also some solvent(like acetone, pure benzine or alcohol) and a small piece of cloth to clean the rubber before patching. If your valves are Presta(aka French), it is a good idea to carry an adjuster to inflate at gas stations.
    One more thing I consider essential - a spare derailleur hanger.