1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Need to upgrade nice body, help!

I have mountain biked once in my lifetime and that was with a friends bike. I have had my bike, a GT Outpost, for a long time. I want to get into bike riding, but there are some problems. I feel the body of this bike is great, strong as hell....but the front suspension is really loose (gives to bumps easily) and my gears are a bit messed up (skips gear or something?) at 2 specific spots. I also want to do a bit of urban riding, but want to be able to ride on the mountain also.

So my questions are....What kind of suspension am I looking for? I am completely new to this stuff, and I will research, but if you can start me off I would appreciate it. As in what specs etc.....Can the gears be fixed? Or should I just buy new ones and? Is it easy to maintain a bike ? (I want to be able to do all the fixing up on my own) And are there special tires that are a cross between road and mountain?

I appreciate the feedback

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Oh Yeah!

I also only want to put in max $200 to upgrades!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ttryi
    I have mountain biked once in my lifetime and that was with a friends bike. I have had my bike, a GT Outpost, for a long time. I want to get into bike riding, but there are some problems. I feel the body of this bike is great, strong as hell....
    for starters, what you call the "body" of the bike is more correctly referred to as the frame.
    but the front suspension is really loose (gives to bumps easily).
    How heavy are you? What fork to you have now, is it an RST (low end)?

To stay within your budget, your options for a fork will be limited. Take a look at what you can pick up on eBay used. Anyways, you will want something with about 80mm (3") travel, that is geared for an XC (cross country) bike. 100mm would definitely be the max you would want. You don't want to turn you bike into a chopper.[/QUOTE]
    and my gears are a bit messed up (skips gear or something?) at 2 specific spots. I also want to do a bit of urban riding, but want to be able to ride on the mountain also.
    There are several factors that could be causing this. Is there any chance that it is worn out? How much have you ridden the bike? Another possibility is that the rear derailleur is not indexed properly. This can me adjusted by turning the barrel adjuster. That is the small part where the cable enters the rear shifter. Here is a helpful link for adjusting your drivetrain.

http://parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

Is it easy to maintain a bike ? (I want to be able to do all the fixing up on my own) And are there special tires that are a cross between road and mountain?

I appreciate the feedback
    You may be interested in some semi-slicks. They are pretty smooth down the centre so they roll fast, but they have tread on the sides for traction when cornering. Here's an example:

Hopefully some of this was helpful to you.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

thanks!

thank you, that was very helpful. I do not know what suspension/fork is ont he bike, but i assume really cheap. I am 6 foot, 170 lbs.
    I will probably just take the bike to the shop for now to fix the gears...I will learn as I go. This post just goes to show how much I have to learn. Thanks!

bi-winning
    I will probably just take the bike to the shop for now to fix the gears...I will learn as I go.
    That is probably a good idea. Make sure you get them to explain what is wrong and how to fix it, so that you can learn. Some shops may even let you watch them as they work.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Here is the rig I am trying to set up:
    -xt 761 front/rear drlrs
    -lx crank
    -shimano mega range 34 tooth caset
    -Avid Ball Bearing Seven Disc Brake '06
    -Shimano Alivio ST-MC20 8SP Shifter/Bl
    -:Easton EA70 MTN Seatpost '07
    - FSA OS-150/ 90 Degree Stem
    -Rock Shox Tora 318 Coil U-Turn Fork '07
    - Shimano XT Disc/Rhyno Lite XL Wheelset
    -FSA xc 190 handle bars.
    Any advice recomendations?

mtbr member
    Need to upgrade nice body!
    I read this thread title when my wife was sitting next to me and I got slapped
    :wq