1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need Some Specialty Tools

I just bought a new to me Cannondale F900. BikePedia - 2000 Cannondale F900 Complete Bicycle

The bike is in need of some long over due maintenance. What Im needing is a crank puller, bottom bracket socket, and a cassette wrench. I think I can handle the cassette tool, but the other two I'm not so sure of.

Bikepedia says that the bike has a Shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket, but when I do a search some of the links reference a road bike using that BB. Also I think I remember seeing different tools for different splined cranksets, so I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

So what crank pullers and bottom bracket wrench do I need?

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok great thanks, I think my LBS has a pretty good return policy. I was just going to buy them online, but because of the help that the guy gave me with getting back into riding with picking out a new seat and showing me some clothes and what not, I think I'll pick them up there. Ive never had good luck with LBS's before but I was blown away with the service (granted the guy was the manager of the store) but I figured I'd support them.

turtles make me hot
    Bring the bike with you. He'll be able to spec out the correct tools.

Let me know if I was right.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks will do, I was hoping to run today but it looks like its going to be tomorrow.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Bring the bike with you. He'll be able to spec out the correct tools.

Let me know if I was right.
    Absolutely agree. With both posts.

Though I do prefer this puller because it does both square and Octalink: Amazon.com: Pedro's Universal Bicycle Crank Remover with Handle: Sports & Outdoors

And I might opt for an ISIS compatible BB tool just to make it a bit more versatile. Like this one: Park Tool Co. BBT-32 : Bottom Bracket Tool : Bottom Bracket
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks zebrahum, I thought I remember seeing that the Park Tool had interchangeable inserts on the crank puller also. I like the versatility because Im pretty sure my cranks have the octalinks, if not I think the newer cranks do? This bike (bought last weekend used) was kind of my reinitiating back into biking. I didn't pay a lot, its been ridden hard but still works great. I already see myself wanting to go trail riding when it gets nicer out. I am not confident in this bike for trail riding because of my weight, about 280, and the ok condition that its in. The front shock needs to be rebuilt, but the look out works, which is fine for now for city/commuting which was the intended purpose of the bike anyway.

Gees, So to make a short story long. Im already thinking about my next bike. Im hoping to purchase around the end of May. And to what I was getting at, the tool fitting multi cranks would be nice. I still will keep the Cannondale for commuting and as a spare. Im not going to stick a ton of money into it, its just not worth it. I will let ya know what I find out.
    Thanks Again Guys!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by STidrvr View Post
    Thanks zebrahum, I thought I remember seeing that the Park Tool had interchangeable inserts on the crank puller also. I like the versatility because Im pretty sure my cranks have the octalinks, if not I think the newer cranks do? This bike (bought last weekend used) was kind of my reinitiating back into biking. I didn't pay a lot, its been ridden hard but still works great. I already see myself wanting to go trail riding when it gets nicer out. I am not confident in this bike for trail riding because of my weight, about 280, and the ok condition that its in. The front shock needs to be rebuilt, but the look out works, which is fine for now for city/commuting which was the intended purpose of the bike anyway.

Gees, So to make a short story long. Im already thinking about my next bike. Im hoping to purchase around the end of May. And to what I was getting at, the tool fitting multi cranks would be nice. I still will keep the Cannondale for commuting and as a spare. Im not going to stick a ton of money into it, its just not worth it. I will let ya know what I find out.
    Thanks Again Guys!
    This is Park's version of the universal puller: Park Tool Co. CWP-7 : Universal Crank Puller for Square Taper and Splined Cranks : Crank Tools
    I still prefer Pedros for this tool. I'm not sure if you have Octalink/ISIS or not, one way to find out is to pull off your crank fixing bolt and see if it's round or square in there.

Depending on how much you're spending or what bike you're getting you may need a totally different tool for the BB anyway. More common now is the external BB cranks and press-fit BBs are much more common these days then they deserve to be. So get a tool for your current system and at least you'll always have it around.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I too just looked on Parks site. I saw the universal one you just posted, and realized that wasn't what I was thinking it was. I remember seeing an almost identical tool like the Pedro one you posted with a blue handle thinking that it was a Park tool.

As far as interchangeability, Im fine with buying another tool if need be, but if I can buy a multi tool, I guess Id rather buy that. Either way, like you said, I'd prolly need and entirely different tool anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm just coming back to report that you were correct NYrr496. Those were indeed the correct tools. Although the cassette tool they gave me didn't fit too well. The tool had square points similar to the BB tool, but the cassette had almost like rounded points. The tool was the BBT-5/FR-11. I was able to tap it in, but it didn't slide in, so Im going to go back today and exchange it.

Thanks Again for the help.

turtles make me hot
    NP.. Glad to help.
    I like turtles