1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Smile need some info on this bike for beginning rider/casual

hi guys. im new to this forum and was looking to get a bike. i know you all are probably going to rip into this bike because it's not a $1500 gary fisher or something but im just looking for a decent bike to ride around my campus and what not. i dont want a complete piece of garbage but im not really looking to spend anywhere more than $100. dont worry im not taking this thing up hills and through forests so it's not anything crazy but i dont want it to immedietly fall apart either.

i guess i was wondering
    1) im 6 foot, what size bike would be suitable for me?
    2) can you help me identify this bike on craigslist and tell me if it seems like a pretty ok deal or not, and how much it's probably worth. (i know it's a mongoose but not what kind it is) Thanks everyone!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/777753528.html

theres the link to the bike

Ride the dream
    Cries out "walmart" to me.

So probably worth virtually nothing new, nevermind secondhand.

Also - that would explain why no size is listed (because they only make one size on most walmart bikes).

Oh and also since its not shown on Mongooses website (since no walmart bikes are) also seems a little suggester to that to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Did you not see this one? It's sweet!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/778082957.html

If that were near me I'd be riding it by now.

Ride the dream
    Thats unfair, the guy asked a question - its not fair to ridicule him for not knowing.

Seriously, grow up.

The bike he suggsted does look like a walmart bike to me, perhaps someone else can confirm it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    Did you not see this one? It's sweet!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/778082957.html

If that were near me I'd be riding it by now.
    Actually this is a sweet one. If that bike still looks like the photo... I'd go for it, too. And I am serious.

... the 'Mongoose' however, I wouldn't touch.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wouldn't trust that first bike. The 3-speed cruiser could be some fun. It would be worth looking into if it were at the neighborhood garage sale. In all honesty, $100 is a slim budget for a good bike. If you look hard enough, you can probably find a used entry level hardtail made by any of the major manufacturers, trek, specialized, giant, etc...

The "walmart" bikes won't even last long on pavement. When I was 5, I had a cheap bmx style bike, it didn't' even make it through the summer. For casual riding down the street, bike paths, and smooth dirt trails, a hybrid or entry level hardtail would do just fine, and last a long time. Brand new they are in the $300 - $400 range, so used might be in your price range. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're just getting around campus I wouldn't think you'd need a full suspension bike. I'd bump the money limit up a bit and look for a better name brand bike like emtnate said. You did say,
    i dont want a complete piece of garbage .
    maybe something like...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/769929752.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/753550208.html

You can always haggle the price...

Pretty good reviews on this site for those two also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks everyone who had serious feedback, it's much appreciated and i will take all of it into serious consideration!

also thanks sabala for providing those links. is 22" a good size for a 6 foot man?
    i like the raleigh and messaged the person about it already! I'll let you guys know if anything comes of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    22" I'm thinking would be too big. I'd guess more like 20".

If you use the "advanced search" feature on this site and type in "size" and then choose "beginner's corner" from the forum selection you'll find lots of posts about it. Like this one...

Wrong bike size?

Sorry man, I was more trying to give you an idea of what type of bike to look for than a specific one to choose.

I started a thread about buying used vs new with some good advice from members here about what to look out for. Might be of some help too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...36#post4734236
    Last edited by sabala; 08-01-2008 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks sabala!

so those guys on those bikes i messaged never responded, im currently looking at two other bikes and was wondering if i could get some input on which one looks like a better bike to you guys (i can get them both down to $100 for the bikes)

bike 1:
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/763612944.html

bike 2:
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/780430326.html

any input would be MUCH appreciated, thanks!

beautiful jackass
    Bike #1 is just as bad as the first one you posted. They're both department store bikes. They won't be safe to ride off road and even on a road they won't be much fun.

Out of those two, go for the Raleigh. At the $100.00 price point it's best to go for a fully rigid bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would very much reccommend not getting a full suspension unless it is a high end bike to go offroad...not to be pretension, but because the low end full suspension bikes weigh a lot more, and have much worse pedaling efficiency...thus not so fun for a commute. i used to commute in college on my hardtail and it was great. front suspension may make the ride a little better without taking much from your pedaling, or you can go the old school cruiser type, even better if you could find a single speed (less to break, it can be expensive to have a bike shop tune your derailleurs, especially on a college budget)

In this case, I would definetly go with bike #2, although I would try to get him down to 50 or 75 dollars...i know that you could easily get something like that for 50-75 here in charlotte, nc...Im sure you can find a good deal in and around detroit...also, have you checked the surrounding cities within an hour or so? Not sure the geog of michigan, but sometimes you can find a lot more if you look at the cities that are an hour or two away...10 bucks in gas may save you 50 bucks and get you a better bike...

just my two cents...hope it helps

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Out of those two - Raleigh.

Be sure to give it a good look over and test ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ps i meant "pretentious" but i type like a 'tard