1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Radamus the ebay bikes you're showing are all different frame sizes, it's no good getting a bike if it's the wrong size.

Post some of your measurements and someone might be able to tell you roughly what what size frame you'll need.

You could also try the following:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for that link Cobba! I'm zeroing in on size! Still studying and learning here.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamus View Post
    Thanks for that link Cobba! I'm zeroing in on size! Still studying and learning here.
    Are you at least riding around on something right now?

Overheard today at Sports Chalet: "You can adjust the fork (was a cheapie Suntour)... most important, do you like the bike color?"

-S

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a cheapo road bike I ride around, but after riding my friends GT mountain bike I can't bring myself to take it off the rack anymore, imo it's a dumpster stuffer after riding something decent.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hang onto it.

I don't know if you ever saw Breaking Away. There's a scene in which the protagonist race-preps a cheap Schwinn road bike. It takes an incredibly crappy road bike not to have some potential either with some TLC or as a singlespeed or fixie.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Hang onto it.

I don't know if you ever saw Breaking Away. There's a scene in which the protagonist race-preps a cheap Schwinn road bike. It takes an incredibly crappy road bike not to have some potential either with some TLC or as a singlespeed or fixie.
    I do remember that movie! He was a "Cutter" poor kid who makes it big. I loved that movie! I was in HS when that came out and I think everybody bought a 10 speed if they didn't have one because of it.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Has the OP tried ebay build kits?
    Does anyone have experience with those?
    New Shimano Alivio M430 MTB Bike Group Groupset Hydraulic Brake Set M446 9 Speed | eBay
    Seems legit...
    Looks to be rebranded Deore or something. Comes w/ everything you need, including decent Hydro brakes.
    Bi King 2012 Shimano Dyna Sys Deore M596 MTB Group Set 3X10SP 8pcs | eBay
    Branded Deore.

It's really risky, but if those guys come through, you'll have a full Deore drivetrain + brakes and a lot of money to spare. A LOT, and that money can go towards a way better fork.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Has the OP tried ebay build kits?
    Does anyone have experience with those?
    New Shimano Alivio M430 MTB Bike Group Groupset Hydraulic Brake Set M446 9 Speed | eBay
    Seems legit...
    Looks to be rebranded Deore or something. Comes w/ everything you need, including decent Hydro brakes.
    Bi King 2012 Shimano Dyna Sys Deore M596 MTB Group Set 3X10SP 8pcs | eBay
    Branded Deore.

It's really risky, but if those guys come through, you'll have a full Deore drivetrain + brakes and a lot of money to spare. A LOT, and that money can go towards a way better fork.
    * I think that the OP has given up on the idea of building a bike and is going to get a complete bike that doesn't need work on it.

* Plenty of people have bought those from ebay but they aren't always the bargain that they seem.
    Some bike shops such as bike-discount.de, bike24.com, bike-components.de, merlincycles.com, etc, etc, often sell groupsets cheaper then the ebay sellers.

* Buying from these ebay sellers isn't as risky as you think, look at how many items the sellers have sold and look at the positive feedback from the buyers. There is some negative and neutral feedback but even online bike shops will get similar complaints from buyers. If you buy from ebay sellers make sure they have a good selling reputation, check out their feedback, ask plenty of questions, make sure you know exactly what you're buying before you bid or buy, don't expect next day delivery if it's coming from half way around the world, be aware of customs fees that you might have to pay on imported goods, etc, etc.

What do you mean by 'rebranded Deore', it's either Deore or it isn't.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    * I think that the OP has given up on the idea of building a bike and is going to get a complete bike that doesn't need work on it.

*/very smart.*/

* Plenty of people have bought those from ebay but they aren't always the bargain that they seem.
    Some bike shops such as bike-discount.de, bike24.com, bike-components.de, merlincycles.com, etc, etc, often sell groupsets cheaper then the ebay sellers.

*/cool, you know any more websites?*/

* Buying from these ebay sellers isn't as risky as you think, look at how many items the sellers have sold and look at the positive feedback from the buyers. There is some negative and neutral feedback but even online bike shops will get similar complaints from buyers. If you buy from ebay sellers make sure they have a good selling reputation, check out their feedback, ask plenty of questions, make sure you know exactly what you're buying before you bid or buy, don't expect next day delivery if it's coming from half way around the world, be aware of customs fees that you might have to pay on imported goods, etc, etc.

What do you mean by 'rebranded Deore', it's either Deore or it isn't.

*/ I'm not sure. I heard it somewhere. I think they mean it utilizes the same design + technology but with Alivio standards (quality/durability/materials)*/
    Last edited by sauprankul; 11-12-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Right on Cobba~ I did buy a complete bike so my questions will continue shortly. So my plan now is~ I will see what I like and don't like, and as I upgrade it, those parts I'll put on my Jamis frame and off that at some time, or maybe I'll end up liking it? who knows..
    FWIW, Shibiwan has a BEAUTIFUL Titus carbon X, but try as I might, it's just too big...and believe me, I ground on the numbers a few sleepless nights but it just wasn't going to work. I tried some bikes the same size at LBS and no way..... stretch was too far---
    I picked up an older Titus Quasimoto. It has some top shelf stuff, some OK stuff on it and some junk I'm sure. At least I'll know how they go together, how they work and I'll ask some of the EASIEST questions you ever had!
    You guys have been great with all your help! Special thanks to Shibi~ been a lot of help.... man, why couldn't that carbon X have been a M?..... LOLOLO! I know, then you would keep it! she's a beauty!

Cheers!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Right on Cobba~ I did buy a complete bike so my questions will continue shortly. So my plan now is~ I will see what I like and don't like, and as I upgrade it, those parts I'll put on my Jamis frame and off that at some time, or maybe I'll end up liking it? who knows..
    FWIW, Shibiwan has a BEAUTIFUL Titus carbon X, but try as I might, it's just too big...and believe me, I ground on the numbers a few sleepless nights but it just wasn't going to work. I tried some bikes the same size at LBS and no way..... stretch was too far---
    I picked up an older Titus Quasimoto. It has some top shelf stuff, some OK stuff on it and some junk I'm sure. At least I'll know how they go together, how they work and I'll ask some of the EASIEST questions you ever had!
    You guys have been great with all your help! Special thanks to Shibi~ been a lot of help.... man, why couldn't that carbon X have been a M?..... LOLOLO! I know, then you would keep it! she's a beauty!

Cheers!
    PICS PICS PICS!! Post them asap! Was that the one you were showing me the other day?

BTW, thanks for the plug.

In case anyone's interested... (cheap!!)

More pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1119949...sXCarbonFrame#

Wife put her foot down and said I have "too much bike" in the house. So I'm trying to get all the small parts to complete the bikes (I got a black one too) and then hope to find good homes for them. Both are L frames. If one of them was at least an M, I'd have kept one.

-S

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Hang onto it.

Prepping the Schwinn like this "racing" Trek on Craigslist?

hehe

-S

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL. That looks more like it got prepped in a scene in "Breaking Bad."
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    PICS PICS PICS!! Post them asap! Was that the one you were showing me the other day?

BTW, thanks for the plug.
    That was the one- I asked some questions and made him an offer and he took it. I researched the reviews on MTBR on each component and I couldn't duplicate it in used parts for the price I offered.
    Question, wheels are a mix, it has Chris King headset/rear hub and Thompson stem/clamp stuff, DHX 5.0 shock and Marzocchi bomber fork. SRAM X9 gear with the twisty shifters and Magura hyd brakes and raceface crank. how does this arrangment sound?

I'm really falling for the Cobalt Iodine wheels, thinking about Shimano shifters/derails and scouting hard for a Fox Talas fork. Anyone got a used set of Spank Spike pedals?

Hey, I'm a noob- just hand my wallet back when your done

banned
    Sep 2012
    That was the one- I asked some questions and made him an offer and he took it. I researched the reviews on MTBR on each component and I couldn't duplicate it in used parts for the price I offered.
    Question, wheels are a mix, it has Chris King headset/rear hub and Thompson stem/clamp stuff, DHX 5.0 shock and Marzocchi bomber fork. SRAM X9 gear with the twisty shifters and Magura hyd brakes and raceface crank. how does this arrangment sound?

I'm really falling for the Cobalt Iodine wheels, thinking about Shimano shifters/derails and scouting hard for a Fox Talas fork. Anyone got a used set of Spank Spike pedals?

Hey, I'm a noob- just hand my wallet back when your done
    Nice setup!

I'd keep the SRAM X9 rear derailleur and stick to SRAM shifters. Having used both Shimano and SRAM derailleurs and trigger shifters, I find the SRAM design works a lot better, feels snappier, smoother, and give a very positive click when shifting between gears, probably due to the 1:1 pull ratio of the SRAM. To me, the Shimano shifters now feel very vague and require a little more force to shift, and being able to compare them side by side (both are relatively new) makes the difference even more noticeable.

Race Face cranksets are great. Can't go wrong with them - have RF Evolve cranksets on both my bikes, and I've been considering moving up to the RF Turbine series crankset, but I can't justify the upgrade since what I have works nicely.

You'll also enjoy the TALAS fork.... got one on my Stumpjumper and it feels great once I got everything dialed in. Make sure you're not getting one with so much travel that it'll affect the geometry of the bike significantly though.

-S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2