Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member

Need some help!!!

Sigh.... I was putting in some new bottle cages on my bike tonight when one of the hex screws broke of in the frame. I have no idea how to get it out. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!!Need some help!!!-bike-pic-1.jpgNeed some help!!!-bike-pic-2.jpgNeed some help!!!-bike-pic-3.jpg

mtbr member
    (1)Try to back it out with some needle nose plyers. (2) super glue the broken bolt head and shaft to the surface of the broken bolt, let it dry, no glue on the sides, back it out softly (3) drill it and use an ez out to pull it out.
    I hope this helps. It really sucks when this happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you've got something sharp and fairly tough, you could try to scrape a slot into the top of the trapped bolt deep enough that you can get a grab in it with a small flathead screwdriver. Dremel with the right bit would do it too. If you're feeling salty, just try to set a small screwdriver into it with a hammer. Sometimes it works like that, sometime you have to go back and enhance the slot.

Don't use a big hammer.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wouldn't use any hammer on it those nuts are sometimes just spot welded .You might knock it into the frame.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    For me, drilling and a screw extractor has been the easiest. Use a left-handed bit. Sometimes the broken portion starts to spin. You want it to spin out. Though it wouldn't be the end of the world if it fell into the frame. Just that much more trouble.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Drilling with a standard drill bit to use a 'ezy out' screw extractor could screw the broken screw in further.

Try a left handed drill bit.

* I wouldn't use a center punch in your case.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    * If the left handed drill bit doesn't bite and unscrew the broken screw you can still use a 'ezy out' screw extractor in the hole that was drilled with the left handed drill bit.

* If you use a 'ezy out' don't hit it into the broken screw as hard as in this video.

mtbr member
    Find a flexible solid plastic rod that has a diameter a bit smaller in size as the bolt that got stuck. Chuck the other end in a drill with a reverse function and the other end on top of the stuck bolt. If the bolt is not tight enough, it would easily come out. This is the technique our fitters use in our machines with snapped bolt.