mtbr member
    May 2011

Need some bike guidance

Hey guys, picked up an older rockhopper fsr disc at the beginning of this year. Loved it, but I want to get something new. I would like to keep it at $1500 or less. Looking for a full suspension with discs. Something that would be good as an all around bike. I was looking at left over Epics and Stumpjumpers, anyone got any other input, or specific bikes? Or should I buy a frame and just build a bike? Thanks in advance! Btw, I'm 5'7" looking for a 26".

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am a beginner as well but from what I have read and experienced it is pretty hard to keep it 1500 or less if you want a new fs bike with decent components. I would recommend you looking around for some used bikes for that price maybe on the classified ads here or some other website. If you are not set on full suspension you could probably get a decent 29er hard tail.

If you were to buy a frame and try to build a bike you would most likely end up spending much more than you intended to in the first place. The best deals are on complete bikes. I recommend you to spend as much as you can now and not regret anything later. If you see your self sticking with the sport try to spend as much as you can right now and spend less later with upgrades.

mtbr member
    You can get a 2012 Camber Comp for $1850. Brand new 120 mm trail bike. Or, you should be able to find some 2011 close outs at a rather good price at the moment.

Otherwise Giant have always got great deals and are generally very good value for money.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by overboostin View Post
    Hey guys, picked up an older rockhopper fsr disc at the beginning of this year. Loved it, but I want to get something new. I would like to keep it at $1500 or less. Looking for a full suspension with discs. Something that would be good as an all around bike. I was looking at left over Epics and Stumpjumpers, anyone got any other input, or specific bikes? Or should I buy a frame and just build a bike? Thanks in advance! Btw, I'm 5'7" looking for a 26".
    At $1500, you're looking at used or closeout.

You already own a bike, so it's not like you're going to miss out on some of the good part of the season if you take your time on this.

Borrow bikes, demo bikes, look for demo tours in your area. Squirrel away the money somewhere you won't spend it prematurely.

My experience of FS bikes hasn't been that positive. But there are some I've disliked less. IMO, this is a situation where you should really take your time and get actual trail time on different bikes. Wait for one to impress you. You'll probably not be able to get that particular model on closeout, but you can learn about the different suspension linkages and head angles - those are huge in determining how a FS bike rides, so you can make more intelligent choices about used and closeout bikes.

You can get some pretty nice frames for $1500. You can cannibalize your Rockhopper to build up the new bike. This is best done as a winter project, IMO. Someone fast can build a bike in a day. But if you haven't done a few, you're almost guaranteed to run into unforeseen problems that stretch out the build time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah I'm looking a lot at used. Are Sette's any good?