1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6

    Need some advice about a bike!

    Alright, right now I am riding a Trek 3700 (nothing special), just been riding the local trails. The more I ride the more I love the sport, I want to get into doing XC and AM, I don't think my current bike will be able to handle more intense riding, so I have been looking around for a cheap alternative. And I have found a 1998 Trek Y-glide for $500. To me (a noob) this looks like a good deal, it comes in good shape there are no dents or cracks. the seat has a tear but no big deal, New tires are good, the brakes are hays hydraulic discs and are new, the rear shock is fox and the front forks are Manitou.
    From what I have read these are really good bikes, mainly used for downhill, but I wanted to get some other riders opinions. Should I get it or hold off??
    Thanks in advance for your help
    -DJ

  2. #2
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    Alright, right now I am riding a Trek 3700 (nothing special), just been riding the local trails. The more I ride the more I love the sport, I want to get into doing XC and AM, I don't think my current bike will be able to handle more intense riding, so I have been looking around for a cheap alternative. And I have found a 1998 Trek Y-glide for $500. To me (a noob) this looks like a good deal, it comes in good shape there are no dents or cracks. the seat has a tear but no big deal, New tires are good, the brakes are hays hydraulic discs and are new, the rear shock is fox and the front forks are Manitou.
    From what I have read these are really good bikes, mainly used for downhill, but I wanted to get some other riders opinions. Should I get it or hold off??
    Thanks in advance for your help
    -DJ
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...280_91crx.aspx

    http://www.epinions.com/bike-Bicycle...e_Deluxe__1998

    http://www.users.bigpond.com/cool386/trek/trek.htm

    just a few quick search results....this looks like a downhill bike....you want XC and AM....looks like heavy and too much for what you're wanting. Very outdated technology too...it's 10 years old! I'd loook for a good hardtail....how much do you want to spend?
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    249
    First of all you bike is an xc bike and the actual definition of all mountain is kind of blurry. Your bike will handle a lot more than you think. Save the money for a decent new hardtail and see if you can come up with a few $ more. A 10 yr old bike isn't something you want to take you to the next level.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thank you guys for the help!
    With the comments you left I think I am just gonna wait it out, I like my 08' Trek 3700 a lot, and Im not looking to replace it, I was just told by a friend that a full suspension bike would be a good upgrade for me. So I have been keeping my eyes open for a good bike for a good price If I can find one then I will get it, otherwise I will continue looking.
    For now, can you guys give me some ideas for upgrades/parts that might improve the preformance of my current Trek, which would be more geared toward XC or AM.

  5. #5
    S&G CREW
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    I had a trek 4500 and beat the **** out it till i had the money to get a fs bike.Upgrade some of your parts like a new wheelset you would be shocked what this bike can do with some smooth riding.

  6. #6
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Better wheel set IF you are bending your current set riding the terrain that you like. Rockshox Dart3 or better fork, good set of platform pedals (those stock plastic things suck), maybe disk brakes, it all depends on what you're breaking/wearing out quickly and where you can tell that the performance is lacking. But, I'd do the pedals and ride the piss outta it, replacing as things wear out. Don't spend a ton of money on this bike, save for a better one in a year or two.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    249
    Since the 3700 isnt a disc frame, discs are pretty much out. A wheel set will probably be needed at some point especially considering the weight issue but as most wheels sets out on the aftermarkt won't accept a 7 speed cassette, you're probably going to have to upgrade to an 8 speed cassette at the same time which means new shifters as well.
    Ride it until something goes wrong with it. Many of the upgrades require multiple parts to upgraded. If you are concerned about how it handles your current riding, take that $500 and look for a decent new or slighly used hard tail. Otherwise, ride it until you can afford a decent FS if thats what you want.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    Are platform pedals better for mountain biking? or does it just depend on the type of riding I am doing?(ex. XC, AM, DH...etc.) Cuz right now I have been mainly riding XC and I have a pair of Shimano SPD clipless pedals, does that work alright? or should I still get some platforms to interchange with?
    Again thank you for all your help, I am just getting into the wonderful world of mountain biking and I know a whole lot of nothing....
    P.S. I will begin/ continue to "ride the piss outta my bike"< love it, thanks!

  9. #9
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision
    Since the 3700 isnt a disc frame, discs are pretty much out. A wheel set will probably be needed at some point especially considering the weight issue but as most wheels sets out on the aftermarkt won't accept a 7 speed cassette, you're probably going to have to upgrade to an 8 speed cassette at the same time which means new shifters as well.
    Ride it until something goes wrong with it. Many of the upgrades require multiple parts to upgraded. If you are concerned about how it handles your current riding, take that $500 and look for a decent new or slighly used hard tail. Otherwise, ride it until you can afford a decent FS if thats what you want.
    Specs for 2008 model...didn't say what year his is:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike...3_series/3700/

    Frameset
    Sizes 13, 16, 18, 19.5, 21, 22.5"
    Frame Alpha White Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, bi-axial down tube, [SIZE="4"]disc compatible dropouts[/SIZE]
    Front Suspension SR Suntour M-2025, 63mm
    Wheels
    Wheels Alloy hubs; Matrix 550 rims
    Tires Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0"
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano EF50, 7 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano C051
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Crank SR Suntour XCC-T208 48/38/28
    Cassette Sunrace 13-34, 7 speed
    Pedals Nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager Approved
    Seat Post Bontrager Approved
    Handlebars Bontrager Approved, 30mm rise
    Stem Bontrager Approved, 25 degree
    Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
    Brakeset Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Blurredvision, good advice overall.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    Also, what should I keep in mind when looking into new fork, I was actually looking into the Rockshox Dart 3. I saw that it has 100 mm of travel, Im guessing thats the amount the spring um....'compresses' I saw on another forum that some people were talking about how much they weigh in relasionship to the amount of travel. And I am a big boy (6'-2" 220lbs) will 100 mm be enough or should I look for something more/less?

    And is the tube diameter on the fork (where it conects to the frame) a universal size? or do I need to make sure that will fit as well.

    Any help/ suggestions on forks would be awesome since I have been debating on getting a new one for awhile now, I just have no clue what to look for.

  11. #11
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    Are platform pedals better for mountain biking? or does it just depend on the type of riding I am doing?(ex. XC, AM, DH...etc.) Cuz right now I have been mainly riding XC and I have a pair of Shimano SPD clipless pedals, does that work alright? or should I still get some platforms to interchange with?
    Personal preference....I like to be able to put my foot down quickly...
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  12. #12
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    Also, what should I keep in mind when looking into new fork, I was actually looking into the Rockshox Dart 3. I saw that it has 100 mm of travel, Im guessing thats the amount the spring um....'compresses' I saw on another forum that some people were talking about how much they weigh in relasionship to the amount of travel. And I am a big boy (6'-2" 220lbs) will 100 mm be enough or should I look for something more/less?

    And is the tube diameter on the fork (where it conects to the frame) a universal size? or do I need to make sure that will fit as well.

    Any help/ suggestions on forks would be awesome since I have been debating on getting a new one for awhile now, I just have no clue what to look for.
    get an air fork.

    you can dial in as much preload as you want, if you're heavy like i am. the steerer tube diameter is standard for all new...er bikes. most typical mountain bikes have 1 1/8'', older ones have 1'', downhill and some AM/FR have 1.5. cannondale uses a special 1.56...etc that requires special downsizing kits to change it to work with typical forks.

  13. #13
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Personal preference....I like to be able to put my foot down quickly...
    every time i think about going clipless i have one of those oh shi- moments.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    249
    An air fork would cost more than the bike did new. Not worth it. Travel though doesnt affect how the fork will handle weight. Spring rates determine how much force or weight it takes to compress the fork. Travel however will affect the bikes geometry and too much will have a possibly negative effect on handling and add stress to the frame. I'd probably recomment the Dart 2 as it's an 80mm fork and would have a minimal impact on your bikes geometry. I certainly wouldnt go over 100mm. Get the right springs to handle your weight if it becomes an issue.

  15. #15
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    Are platform pedals better for mountain biking? or does it just depend on the type of riding I am doing?(ex. XC, AM, DH...etc.)
    For XC type riding, clipless is the way to go. Many DH racers use clipless too.

    Clipless is not so good for learning wheelies, drops and such. In those situations you may need the ability to eject instantly in any direction. Same thing with jumps and stunts. Maybe also in places where a simple fall might put you over a cliff edge...

  16. #16
    AKA Dr.Nob
    Reputation: gumbymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Personal preference....I like to be able to put my foot down quickly...
    I can get my foot out of my clipless pedals and onto the ground just as quickly as what somebody with platforms can.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    OK, so what do you guys think about upgrading the brakes on my bike to disc brakes?
    Would it improve my stopping power significantly? Is it even worth it on my bike?
    If so, what brand/ type would you recomend that is fairly cheap?

    Is there any other upgrades that you feel are a must have, maybe something you did to your bike that you feel turned your bike into a real 'machine'? < just curious...

  18. #18
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    I don't think you should do much "upgrading" on your bike.

    The essentials that I did to my first "real" bike (still have it) were for comfort and tuning the riding position, after I had a feel for what I needed:
    - a seat that fit me better (tried lots of saddles at LBS)
    - a different bar (wider in my case)
    - a different stem (I went shorter)
    - better grips
    - clipless pedals (needed new pedals anyway. The container ship carrying my warranty replacement burned at sea.)

  19. #19
    S&G CREW
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Save your money 4 a new bike,or buy things that can go on the next bike like a saddle pedals etc.A dart aint much of a upgrade and unless u ride in muddy conditions id leave the v brakes on and save save save youll be better off in the long run.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    I may purchase a new stem, handlebar, seatpost and saddle... but I have now clue what sizes/ diameters I need for my 2008 Trek 3700. Does anyone know this information, or know where I can find it. Thanks

  21. #21
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    For XC type riding, clipless is the way to go. Many DH racers use clipless too.

    Clipless is not so good for learning wheelies, drops and such. In those situations you may need the ability to eject instantly in any direction. Same thing with jumps and stunts. Maybe also in places where a simple fall might put you over a cliff edge...
    For SOME people. Just last week, I was next to that place several times and made it a point not to look down. Walked in a few particularly hairy spots.

    Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    I can get my foot out of my clipless pedals and onto the ground just as quickly as what somebody with platforms can.
    Doubt it...but prolly very close. Again to each their own. I've been riding bmx from back when nobody ever heard of mtb or clipless for off-road riding. Just try to know my limitations....used to try almost any jump or stunt....lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    ....Is there any other upgrades that you feel are a must have, maybe something you did to your bike that you feel turned your bike into a real 'machine'? < just curious...
    Practice, practice, practice. Read and re-read good books, ride, talk with others, ride with others better than your skill. I really learned alot from Ned Overend's book seen here....got my copy at LBS:

    http://www.performancevideo.com/perf...ountain_biking

    and here:

    http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bike-.../dp/1579540813

    and here:
    http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/ned/

    Seat and pedals are the only things I'd upgrade on your bike...and only if you see a need for it as in better control with the pedals and more comfort with the seat/pedals.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 06-23-2008 at 11:34 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  22. #22
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    I may purchase a new stem, handlebar, seatpost and saddle...
    - what do you want to change about your stem? length, angle?
    - what do you want to change about your bar? length, height, bend?
    - what do you want to change about your seat post? need more or less set back?
    - what do you want to change about your seat? harder, softer, wider, more narrow, ...?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •