1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Idea! Need some advice

Im not a begineer per say, i have been riding trails on a hardtail since i can remember, but im not 18 anymore and all the crashes are taking a tole on my body. I have been riding a hard tail all of my life, and want to move up to something full suspension preferably downhill/freeride (anything full suspension) i still enjoy small trails but with a hardtail its also very difficult to move up to the bigger trails. The thing is i have not the first clue about full suspension bikes. I dont know what brand has a reputaion for what, what styles are best for what, best brand in general, things to look for, pay attention to ect. Im looking for a good all around bike that can hold its own in the trails, i was looking at the remedy 9/10 or reign x1.

Any opinions welcome, i wanna hear what you all have to say! thanks guys !

mtbr member

Need some advice

I wanna hear this too! I'm also converting from hard tail to full suspension. I've only been riding for about a year though. I'm looking at the Scott Spark and Genius. I'm kinda stuck with Scott do to me working a deal at the LBS that carries Scott.

mtbr member
    There are just too many companies that make great full suspension frames to name and the "best in general" is probably going to relative to the person who is answering. For me..companies such as Ventana, Intense, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz and Felt would be my top few while those probably won't land on the top 10 of the next person's list. I love the VPP and Equilink designs. Anything in that 120mm to 150mm range will probably handle anything you can throw it, including some downhill. Anything more, you'll be entering into the DH and Enduro category.

Hi There!
    Go around to your local bike shops, take some test rides on the different brands, see which ones feel good to you, and then check the reviews right here on mtbr or other bike review websites. Also, after the tryouts you could post in here which ones you liked and ask about those. As stated above there are many good brands. Try to test ride as many different ones as you can.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    Try to test ride as many different ones as you can.
    And remember that almost every bike feels good when you first ride it. It's important to ride them for longer and see if you feel any discomfort after a few miles.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I was reflecting the other day that about an hour is a great amount of trail time on a demo bike. I can get a sense of the bike but the experience doesn't get overshadowed by the fit differences between the demo bike and my bike.

Alternatively, a week so I have time to tinker and nail the fit.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.
    Going from a HT to FS like a Giant Reign X1 or Remedy would be huge. The All Mountain/FR type are very capable of producing all kinds of fun and gets you in trouble in a hurry. I'd prefer the Reign X, at 6.75" rear travel and it can still climbs with relative ease and descend like you just stole something. That said it would be a big change from lighter HT to 30+lbs Reign. If you are strong enough to ride the Reign, it would be the most versatile bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by count123 View Post
    I wanna hear this too! I'm also converting from hard tail to full suspension. I've only been riding for about a year though. I'm looking at the Scott Spark and Genius. I'm kinda stuck with Scott do to me working a deal at the LBS that carries Scott.
    Scott is great! I am pain free for over a year know thanks to it..

mtbr member

Need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    Scott is great! I am pain free for over a year know thanks to it..
    Which do you ride?