1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need Some Advice

Recently I've decided to buy a bike as part of a good way to have fun, hang out with some friends and get some exercise. The only problem is I don't really know where to start as I've only really ever owned crappy department store bikes in the past.

What I'm looking for in a bike is something I can use on the various off-road trails around where I live, cross-county biking, as well as being able to ride it around town to get to all those places. Keep in mind all of that would be recreational, nothing to major, at least for a while anyways.

My budget is around $1000 dollars(CDN If it makes any difference). I'm willing to spend a little more money because I've learned that you get what you pay for the hard way in the past to many times heh.

Anyways, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated because I don't want to make a decisions to hastily but at the same time I can't wait to start biking!

Thanks

mtbr member
    well you have a pretty good budget to start with so you should be able to get yourself a pretty nice bike. i would suggest that you look for a hardtail (front suspension only) as they are lighter and less complicated than full suspension bikes. $1000 will get you an entry level full suspension bike, but that same amount of money will get you a good mid level hardtail. check your local bike shops, see what brands and types of bikes they carry.

Support OUR Wounded
    I am new at the whole biking thing, but as long as canada is similar to the US in petty theft, you aren't going to want to use your 1000 dollar bike as a dd, although you will lock up the frame and wheels, someone will take your fork, brakes, crank, clipless, or rear derailure. Just a thought

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I have some good options as far as local bike shops go, I haven't had time to actually go in and look/ask around yet unfortunately but their sites all say the carry brands such as Giant and Trek etc so I should have some good options I guess.

As far as theft goes, I am aware of that first hand lol. The only ever nice bike I got(can't remember the name of it now, won it in a lottery) was stolen within a week or two. At any rate, I don't really plan to use it for getting around town a whole lot then leaving it unattended. More likely just to friends houses where I can put it in the garage or to the various trails around the city.

mtbr member
    My first bike was a Gary Fisher Marlin and it served me very well for years. When I bought it I rode mostly on simple dirt trails with my friends, but I also rode it around town a lot. When I bought it I had the bike shop put some tires on it with tred that would serve both road and trail, which probably did neiter great but both good enough for what I wanted.

I'm certianly no expert on bikes on who makes the best bike for the price and all that, but the Marlin seemed like a good entry level bike and I was very pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool, thanks for the reply. That definitely gives me something to look for. Seems like it'd be good for just about all I'd want right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Congrats on getting into biking.As far as what to get...there's a ton of reliable makes out there.Just do some research first so that you get a bike that meets ur needs,you'll be much happier in the end. A few brands that offer good bang for ur buck that come to my mind are Jamis and Trek. In my years of riding i've always found you cant go to wrong with either of these.Good luck and let us know what you get.

P.S. As mentioned,with ur price range u should beable to get a pretty good hard tail that should serve you well for awhile,but theres also many entry level fullies out there in that range too.

mtbr member
    What are the offroad trails like where you live? Are they relatively smooth? Or are they bumpy, rocky, rooty?

What sort of bikes are your friends riding?

Do you see yourself riding offroad most of the time, or the other way around?

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindrust
    My budget is around $1000 dollars(CDN If it makes any difference). I'm willing to spend a little more money because I've learned that you get what you pay for the hard way in the past to many times heh.
    Buy it online from a US dealer and your dollar will go a bit further!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    What are the offroad trails like where you live? Are they relatively smooth? Or are they bumpy, rocky, rooty?

What sort of bikes are your friends riding?

Do you see yourself riding offroad most of the time, or the other way around?
    There are a few trails around here actually. There are some easier smooth ones and some more complex ones offering a lot more obstacles. Ideally, I'd like to work my way up to doing the complex ones. Can't really say where I'd use it the most though. I'm more interested in the off-road stuff, but I don't know if that will translate into me using it off-road more then not.

Also, I was thinking about getting it from an online dealer but a lot of the bike stores around here offer a lot of good thing that might make it worth buying locally.

Anyways, thanks for the replies!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just purchased a Jamis Durango 3.0 2 weeks ago for $825 USD, this bike is an amazing value, see if you can get one near you.