Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need To Replace A Quadra 5...

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tjeep_1999 
#1 ·
... any suggestions?
I have an older Gary Fisher Mamba 26" and the RockShox Quadra 5 is in need of help or replacement. I wouldn't mind rebuilding it if I can get parts cheap enough, or I could just replace them.
I just want an entry level fork new or used. It has a 1 1/8th threaded steerer tube, 7" long.
If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be swell.

#3 ·
I'd go with a rigid fork. 410mm axle-crown forks are pretty common, but might jack up your front end - they're supposed to replace a longer-travel suspension fork than what you've got. Surly makes a 376mm axle-crown fork that's supposed to be part of a 26"-wheeled touring bike and can supposedly fit a 2.1" tire. And there are some really cheap forks on EBay. Canibalizing another mountain bike, with a rigid fork, or going to a used bike shop, might be your best bet.

Start by measuring the axle-crown height at sag of your current bike. If you've been unhappy with the handling, now's the time to make a change - a little longer fork will stabilize it, and a shorter fork will speed it up.

You might also be able to reduce the travel of a current fork to give you the right ride height. And there are some 60mm dirt jump forks.

#4 ·
I have an old Marzocchi Z2 Bomber on a 96 Fisher HooKooEKoo and it rides really plush. The bike originally came with a Quadra 21R and it doesn't seem to have affected handling at all, as would be expected since the bike and frame are from the same era. If you don't want to scour eBay for an old fork and rebuild it, a rigid fork and some fat tires are probably your best bet. They may be your best bet regardless.

#5 ·
I have a Quadra 21R on a 1995 GF Paragon. A few years after buying it I replaced everything on it but the crank and the frame so at the time it was pretty cutting edge. I now own a 2010 stock GF paragon. The handle very differently. I love both bikes, but they weigh the same and honestly I wish I would have saved my money in retrospect. Something to consider is just replacing the elastimers. To do over I think I would have just gone that route.

There is a place called "suspension fork parts" that still sells them online... just something to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.