1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Need to replace Manitou SX Ti - which fork???

I've been using my Manitou SX Ti fork on a KHS Alite frame with some middle of the road (or used to be!) components for about 13 years now and I think it might finally be time for something new. I'm on my last set of elastomers and the fork oil likes to escape despite new O ring seals.

I've been very pleased with the fork, overall, and just want to replace it with something similar on a budget. The number one requirement is weight. I want something as light or lighter than the SX Ti.

I haven't been keeping up to date with the MTB technology over the last 10 years and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the huge variety of forks available these days.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Is the Manitou R7 a relaible fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Manitou still makes light cross country forks ,rock shox stll has the sid ,there are some others ones also. Does that fork have cantilever brakes bosses and are you running cantilever brakes? If you are that's going to be a problem.Not many forks with cantilever bosses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do want to stick with my cantilever brake if possible, as well as my existing 9mm old school axle.
    Last edited by j_trail_rider; 06-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.