mtbr member
    Jul 2017

New question here. Need recommendation on a new bike

Hi guys, found you through a google search. I'm shopping for a new bike and I don't want to spend a fortune. Initially I was going to get this deal that I found on ebay but I found one for just $75 more that seems like a better deal.

Diamondback Trace Sport $325
    Diamondback 2017 Trace Sport Mountain Bike Blue | eBay

The main difference that I can see between the 2 models is that the Trace Sport has front shocks while the Insight 2 model does not. I'm a total novice at this so if you guys can point out any other differences, I would appreciate it.

By the way, $325 is the most I'm willing to go. Although I enjoy bike riding, I'm not an enthusiast (yet). I've gained some extra weight over the summer and I will be using mostly for exercise. City riding combined with some occasional trail riding. I don't know if Diamondback bikes are any good, I'm open to suggestions on better brands as long as it doesn't cost me an arm & a leg.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    For urban only riding, and hard gravel trails you don't need front suspension, so in that respect you may be able to save a bit of cash. You'd have to tell us more specifics.

Beware that online bikes need some assembly, so if you are uncomfortable you may either buy from a bike shop (a bit more expensive) or have them assemble your online purchase.

mtbr member
    that price range is going to be extermely limited, even for a city bike. with that budget, I would be looking as used bikes. how tall are you and what's available on Craigslist?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    For urban only riding, and hard gravel trails you don't need front suspension, so in that respect you may be able to save a bit of cash. You'd have to tell us more specifics.
    What kind of specifics are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    that price range is going to be extermely limited, even for a city bike. with that budget, I would be looking as used bikes. how tall are you and what's available on Craigslist?
    5'7" and I haven't even begun looking on Craiglist. I just ran across those deals last night on ebay and i wasn't going to buy anything but they seemed like good deals.

As far as the craigslist option, I live in a dumpy ass town and I'm not sure what I will find. Even if I lived in a nice town, I wouldn't even know what brands to look for and what is a reasonable price these days for a used bike. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    a "good" used bike will be between $50 and $5,000. it depends on what you're looking for. for city riding and not mtb trails, finding something decent for under $300 should be no problem. if the selection where you live is slim, that might be a challenge though.

at your hieght, a small or medium frame should serve you well. it will be designated as a 15 -17" frame.

check out used bikes, be sure to get the size designation, and look up the bike on BikePedia to see if it's something worthwhile. if it was sold at Walmart or something, skip it.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by M4verick View Post
    I live in a dumpy ass town
    You may have to drive. Part of small town life.

I lived in such a town for awhile. There was a shop, but it was tiny and catered to the small roadie community and the college and didn't carry the kinds of bikes that interested me. I ended up buying a bike online, but did drive 5+hrs each way to Austin, TX for a weekend to visit some shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M4verick View Post
    What kind of specifics are you looking for?
    Sorry, I should have explained better.

"Trails" can mean very different things. One person ultimately meant paved walking trails, so obviously no suspension required. A hard-packed gravel or dirt (walking) trail is the same type of idea.

If you are tacking bigger roots, occasional stumps, choppy ground, minor drops+, then that's where you'll want suspension. I just wanted to double check what you'd be doing, and if a purely urban bike wold work.

As for pricing, have a glance on Pinkbike for an idea on used bike pricing. Start with the "XC Bike" category (assuming suspension wanted), which is "cross country", or standard trails (not downhill, big drops). You can specify a price range, and have a look at what's out there. You'll notice that front-only suspension (hardtails) are less expensive, while full suspension (FS) bikes (front and rear) will cost more.

I think it's a smart idea to start with an inexpensive bike as you figure out what you really like, but $325 can be pretty limiting - just the reality these days. Good luck!