1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fishing/ Biking

Need Pedals- Suggestions Please

I've got a KHS XC 104 that came with plastic pedals so I'm looking for an inexpensive pedal set for this bike. ($50-$100)

Also have a new bike (Specialized Camber Comp) on order and will want a fairly good set of pedals for that bike. ($100- $250ish)

Why you like the pedals you have would be a great help for my research as well.

Thanks Guys!

D

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Need Pedals- Suggestions Please

Clipless or flats?

Fishing/ Biking
    Flats, sorry.
    Thanks.

Trail Ninja
    I'd recommend:

Deity Compound (or Nuke Proof Electron) = cheap
    Spank Spike = premium

I use 'em both. Running Spank Spike on a XTR crankset and Deitys on SRAM carbon crankarm, since the Spank Spike doesn't quite play nice with it without a pedal washer. If the Deity's don't bust and last long, I actually might opt for them over Spank Spike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Name:  Azonic flatiron.png
Views: 584
Size:  57.8 KBThere is some choice involved. Get pedals with the sharp p[ns like the Spark Spikes and you should also wear 5.10 type shoes with harder sticky rubber bottoms. Use trailrunners and the pins will tear up the bottoms. Long sharp pins and 5.10s are necessary for downhill speeds and jumps. XC and trail riding into AM stubby pins and trailrunners will be totally enough. Ride when it's hot and runners are lighter and a lot cooler.
    These Azonic Flatirons come with both pin types.
    Other models from Wellgo and Azonic and some on ebay have stubby pins. Short rounded skinny pins also work without tearup.
    Wellgo B143 CNC DH MTB BMX Pedals Black Red | eBay
    Need Pedals- Suggestions Please-wellgo.jpg

You also need the low heels technique. Use it and you will stick like Fabien.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube

Picture Unrelated
    Spank Spike, Deity Decoy are at the top of my list in that price range. It's really hard to go wrong as most pedals in that price range are going to be decent.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fishing/ Biking
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys! giving me some good stuff to look up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    wellgo mg1 $37 shipped on ebay. cheap, durable, good.

mtbr member
    I like the Forte Converts at performance bike. They are shin graters though

Fishing/ Biking
    I'm kinda liking the look of the Spank Spikes... Thanks you guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    wellgo mg1 $37 shipped on ebay. cheap, durable, good.
    I've got these on my bike and they are superb for the money, plus the bearings are really smooth.
    The paint does come off them easily if you go for the black ones, but in my opinion they are better than my friend's DMR V8's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    I'm kinda liking the look of the Spank Spikes... Thanks you guys!
    You'll love them. Just be advised. They have drawn blood on a couple of occasions. Steep hill, lost it and serious shin gash !!

But they do grip and look awesome !

mtbr member
    Well, yes they are nice, but at three times the price of the Wellgo's they damn well should be.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Forte converts from performance bike shops. They grip well, are light, priced around 50 bucks and come with extra pins. They come in black now...I have the gray ones. Good pedals.
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off!

mtbr member
    Yes, and a good price too! Why pay over $100 when you can get these or the Wellgo for less than half the price.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    Yes, and a good price too! Why pay over $100 when you can get these or the Wellgo for less than half the price.
    Do you also ask why drive a Lotus when you can buy a Festiva for less than half the price?

Just because something is less expensive does not mean it inherently devalues the more expensive option. Between my Wellgos and my Straitlines it's night and day; doesn't mean there isn't a place for less expensive options, but there is no contest my Straitlines are very much worth their additional cost.

mtbr member
    I do see your point.
    Maybe if l tried out the expensive pedals l would change my opinion.

But the Festiva is nothing like a Lotus. The Wellgo pedals have adjustable/replacable pins, are very light, are dished in the centre, have high quality bearings, and seem to survive rock hits with little more than paint scratches. So they are on the surface a bargain.

ps l bought my Lotus Elise S2 second hand, for half the new price. In the two years l have owned it l have lost no money, as the value has stayed about the same.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    ps l bought my Lotus Elise S2 second hand, for half the new price. In the two years l have owned it l have lost no money, as the value has stayed about the same.
    Yeah, but aren't you glad you didn't buy a fiesta?

There's plenty of room for all sorts of pedals; some are expensive because they're manufactured domestically or in a small company, some are made out of exotic materials, some use exotic or innovative designs, and some are just expensive. Some cheap pedals are also well designed and built, it's a matter of finding the right pedal.

If you aren't asking much of a pedal then a pedal doesn't have to be amazing to be worth your money. The more demanding you are of a pedal (a DH racer is very demanding) then the more a pedal has to do for you. Once you go from low end pedal and tennis shoes to a nice pedal and cycling specific shoe it's hard to ride anything else. On the other hand, they put in a pump track within lunch ride distance of work which I took advantage of yesterday with my Wellgo B54s and my Sanuk shoes, so you know, do what you like!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Diminishing returns factor hugely when it comes to mtb stuff, specially high end stuff.

With pedals, as with pretty much every other other component out there, you can get 95% of the performance for a fraction of the cost of the blingy stuff by doing a little smart shopping. Specially for disposable, low tech items like pedals that are likely to get bashed to submission over a few seasons.

Instead of a Lotus/Festiva comparison, it's more like an Explorer/Navigator or Suburban/Escalade. Basically the same damn thing with a little more bling and some fancy widgets that are likely to need service before their time.

Fishing/ Biking
    Man now I'm thinking I want to test drive a Lotus. And I'm really unsure if I should keep my Suburban or trade it in for an Escalade. I really hate the bling factor on the Escalades... I think we need to stop now.
    But it is pretty crazy the range of pedal specs and prices. I know I'm going to end up getting pedals that cost more than $50, but my with my novice riding skills I'm hoping they last a long time. But seriously thanks to all that posted up. I got to look at a lot of pedals I wasn't seeing before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    I splurged for the Canfield Crampon Ultimate $150 and worth every penny.

mtbr member
    The pedals I hear a lot of reps for:
    Wellgo
    Spank Spikes
    Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Azonic 420

mtbr member
    I was looking for a cheap set of pedals and I just got a set of Gusset Slim jim pedals for $29. very happy with them. no complaints.

the others that were in the hunt were
    - Wellgo mg-1: $37 ebay
    - spank flat pedal: $50
    - gusset slim jim: $29
    - sun ringle zuzu: $40

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Do you also ask why drive a Lotus when you can buy a Festiva for less than half the price?

Just because something is less expensive does not mean it inherently devalues the more expensive option. Between my Wellgos and my Straitlines it's night and day; doesn't mean there isn't a place for less expensive options, but there is no contest my Straitlines are very much worth their additional cost.

Well, l have to stand corrected here, as after this l went to my LBS to look at pedals, and ended up spending 70 (over $100) on a pair of NS flats.

I tried them out, and have to say, that while the Wellgo's are a good pedal for the money, these are in a different league.

The pins are better, they are lighter, they look much nicer, the black finish does not rub off, the profile is lower, and the bearings are smoother.
    They seem to sit on my shoes better and are just nicer to ride on than the Wellgo's, which now feel clunky in comparison.
    Last edited by lotusdriver; 11-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast