1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

need to order tomorrow, please help me choose one

hey guys.. if yall could help me out as to which is the better bike on paper. (cant test ride as both r out of stock) have seen the f9 though seems better built.

1) Schwinn 2010 Mesa Sport

http://www.schwinnbike.com/int/eng/P...SSP-Mesa-Sport

2) Cannondale 2010 F9

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...s/1294-0FS9-F9

TECHSPEC

Schwinn Mesa Sport

Frame Schwinn N'Litened Silver Label Custom Drawn Aluminum with Trail-Tuned geometry and replaceable derailleur hanger.
    Fork Suntour XCT Suspension fork.
    100mm travel with preload adjust and lock out
    Crank Suntour XCT 42/34/24T
    Chain KMC Z-72
    Bottom Bracket CH cartridge sq. JIS taper
    Pedal Resin body, steel axle, steel cage
    Derailleur's Shimano Acera M340 rear, M310 front
    Shifters Shimano Acera M360 Rapid Fire
    Cog set SRAM PG830 8-speed cassette11-32T
    Rims Weinmann ZAC19 Double wall alloy 32 hole
    Hubs KT alloy sealed mechanism QR front and rear
    Spokes 14 G stainless
    Tires Innova 26"x1.95"
    Handlebars alloy MTB 0 rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
    Stem Alloy 1 1/8" treadless A-head
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless
    Brakes Hayes MX4 Mech disc
    Brakelevers ProMax alloy with reach adjuster
    Grip Schwinn Approved Kraton rubber Lock on
    Saddle Trail Tuned Sport with two tone cover
    Seat Post Alloy micro adjust

TECHSPEC

CO2 Series F9

Frame CO2, butted, 6061 alloy
    Fork RST Gila T, 80mm
    Rims Maddux EC5.0, double wall
    Hubs Formula DC20, 28 hole, 6 bolt front, Formula DC22, 32 hole, 6 bolt rear
    Spokes Stainless steel, 15g
    Tires Kenda Small Block 8, 26 x 2.1
    Pedals Platform resin body w/steel cage
    Crank Shimano M311, 42/32/22
    Bottom Bracket Tange Cartridge type
    Chain KMC, 8-speed
    Rear Cogs Sunrace M56, 11-32
    Front Deraileur Shimano M311
    Rear Deraileur Shimano Acera
    Shifters Shimano ST-EF50, EZ Fire
    Handlebars Cannondale C4
    Stem Cannondale C4
    Headset Tange ER2 Slim Stack
    Brakes Tektro 836 V-brake
    Brakelevers Shimano ST-EF50
    Saddle Cannondale C3, ergonomic
    Seat Post design

my last order didnt go through so the dealer has told me he'll get em in the next lot which will take 20 days to get to mumbai, which got me thinkin of saving up a bit more in the 20 days and goin for a better bike.. would a F7/F8 be a better buy?? pls choose the best out of these, i will be starting to ride after a while so need a good bike to begin with. mostly alot of street riding with alot of potholes and slopes n small hill climps... all on tarmac and some dirt .. so please take ur pick (and reasons for them if possible)..thanks guys

1) mesa sport
    2) f9
    3) f8
    4) f7

cheers.

mtbr member
    For what you are describing any of them should work but the temptation to push it harder and on tougher terrain is a possibility and without a bike that can handle, you're out of luck. I would vote for the F7 because of better components that will allow you to push hard if you decide to. Also at that price point you open up a number of other options as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    true, but out here the only options we have is trek / merida / bianchi / cannondale / schwinn / bt win and a few select giant bikes (mostly 2009 models), rest all would be imports without any warranty on them, and my dealer only deals in merida / bianchi / cannondale and schwinn. So just choosing between the two which bike would u suggest? the mesa sport vs f9. (i know ur real recomendation )

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Between the Suntour fork and the mechanical disc brakes, the Mesa Sport appears to have the better components. Not sure about those Innova tires though..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Target Bike! lol

Forge Sawback @ $379.99+$30 ship - 10% with a new Target Visa (or ebay coupon) = $371 to your door. And it has equal if not better components.

http://www.forgebikes.com/saw5red.asp

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya
    Target Bike! lol

Forge Sawback @ $379.99+$30 ship - 10% with a new Target Visa (or ebay coupon) = $371 to your door. And it has equal if not better components.

Um. It's probably not $30 shipping to Mumbai...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    Um. It's probably not $30 shipping to Mumbai...
    I guess my speed reading skills aren't up to par lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    haha thanks noya, but tsmosher is right! 40 pounds in a 53inch box will probably be triple times that price to ship to mumbai, india! probably more. unfortunately it hasto be between the above bikes only. and thank you tsmosher for your advice bud, will look into the components. if only the fork was better on the cannondale. even the f7 has gila forks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Of the two you mentioned, the Schwinn Mesa would fit you riding better with the lockout fork and disc brakes.

Something like the GT Transeo would actually probably be a better bike for what you describe. Can you dealer get GT? Most Schwinn dealers are also GT dealers (same parent company).

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bi...anseo-2.0-Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nope i dont think gt has dealers in india.. i didnt find anything on the gt website aswell.. great bike though.. wish i had more options.. so we have 2 votes for the mesa.. and 1 for f7 and no one thinks i should get a f9? lol

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya
    Target Bike! lol

Dude! thats an awesome value..Still I'd take it down to a LBS and have it properly set up.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ok i found a giant dealer locally. but they have 2009 models .. but in my price range i can get GIANT Boulder / Innova / Yukon and Yukon Disc / should i consider any or them or just go in for the F7 or F9?

here is a link to the giant 2009 models

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-IN...llections_id=4

waiting for your input guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My first decent bike was an 03 Giant Iguana Disc and I loved it (of course- everyone loves their first real MTB), so I'm kind of partial to Giant.

I really liked the frame geometry over the other bikes I tried out. It was real comfortable and it seemed like I had better pedal efficiency on it. And the thing was solid, not a problem with it (though I did get the brakes to smoke on a downhill run lol).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i was just lookin @ the iguana i think i can manage that aswell.. sorry i forgot to post it in the above post, seems like a really good bike!

now its more or less a competition between the 2009 Giant Iguana Vs 2010 Cannondale F7!!
    Last edited by toxicdrift; 04-16-2010 at 01:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know about all the hangeons you have, one thing I do know Zac19 are crap???
    I have had 4 broken spokes, now another has gone. So I have wrecked my old Avanti to get some wheels I can trust. I ride on sold tracks.75 year old so I don't abuse the bike.
    Regards Bert

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Have you looked closely at the Meridas, since your lbs is a merida dealer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flossy
    I don't know about all the hangeons you have, one thing I do know Zac19 are crap???
    I have had 4 broken spokes, now another has gone. So I have wrecked my old Avanti to get some wheels I can trust. I ride on sold tracks.75 year old so I don't abuse the bike.
    Regards Bert
    Even though this is a very old thread, this is good to know!

I use my Zac19's (with Specialized Armadillos) to commute with no problems, but I was trying to decide if I should upgrade my wheel/tire combo before hitting the mountains. I guess I will.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    HOLY FREAKIN' TIME WARP!!

I didn't even notice the original post dates.

DOH!!!