Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need opinions on this spec list for a Motobecane...

19K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Bataivah 
#1 ·
I've been researching Motobecane bikes recently, and I found this new 2013 Motobecane 450HT model on the bikesdirect.com website.

I'm not great with identifying parts, so I was wondering if someone could take a look at these components and give me an opinion on them:

Frame: Custom 7005 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY frame
Fork: Longer Travel SR Suntour SF12-XCT-V4-DS-26-100mm
Front Derailleur: SRAM FD-3.0-A1 TOP PULL
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X4 long cage
Brakes: TEKTRO Novela Mechanical Disc Brakes
Crankset: SUNTOUR XCT-V3 22/32/42T
Shifters: SRAM X4, 8 Speed Triggershift (24 speeds total)

Thanks!

#2 ·
They're all entry level parts. I've got similar components on my Specialized Hardrock which I bought on sale for less than $400. It's not THAT big of a deal compared to what you can get in a name brand dealer.
That said for a first MTB it's a decent bike. If you're like me though you'll be looking to upgrade in before too long. I demo'ed some top-end giants last fall which kind of ruined me.

#3 ·
hardrock's now are closer to 600 with tax from what i've read on here lately, so to get that for 320 shipped, definitely a good deal. its half the price and the exact same parts for the most part. hell, it has 8 speeds in the back instead of 7. so an extra gear, saving 280, not a bad deal.

#4 ·
Sorry, hadn't checked the new prices, plus mine was on sale. It's a nice component set which will hold up well to a novice rider. I bought a road bike for my fiance from BikesDirect and her dad got a widsor mtb from them. Both have been great bikes so I've got nothing but good things to say about them. My next bike will likely be from BD.

#6 ·
Just comparing parts if you wanted to spend a little more on a bike you could get a better fork and better brakes on the Airborne Skyhawk Airborne Bicycles. Skyhawk

or if you wanted to spend a little less there's the Airborne Sabre Airborne Bicycles. Sabre

With their free shipping in July promo they got nice deals.

Not knocking BD just throwing out options.

#8 ·
You'll be happy with the 450HT or one of the Airborne's. All are decent bikes for the price. If you aren't familiar with tuning up the brakes & derailleurs and aren't keen to learn, you'll definitely want to stick with purchasing from a bike shop.

If you're comfortable putting in the effort and time before riding to get the bike tip top then you can go any route: mail order, craigslist, or a LBS.

Get a good starter level bike. I usually advise against spending more than $500-750 on your first bike. If you are anything like me, you'll end up doing a good bit of thrashing the bike learning to ride technically. I'd prefer to do that on an entry level bike and upgrade to a nicer bike later than start out thrashing a nicer bike with n00b riding mistakes...

#16 ·
You're right, i'm not saying that they are completely equal, but they are relatively close. But for the 300 dollar range, thats where I think airborne should step up their game, that's all. They're both nice bikes for the money, don't get me wrong. They're a lot cheaper than what you'd find at an lbs. I'm a huge fan of saving money, and getting the most for what you spend.

#17 ·
But for the 300 dollar range, thats where I think airborne should step up their game, that's all.
The Sabre is the best bike we could make for the $$ and still sell it at enough of a meager profit margin that lets us keep our doors open and keep the lights on. With the free freight promo we are running at the moment we are actually losing money on each Sabre sold.

If you are better at negotiating with suppliers and product management than our Product Manager, maybe you should look at getting a job in the bike industry, LOL. :cool:

#18 ·
TOUCHE!

There's a reason for multiple "price points" and Product Managers are always tasked with trade-offs in order to deliver a solid product within the parameters they must work under.

A bike purchase is much more than the sum of components. If one is purchasing online, the ease of communicating and the level of support one receives from the company should factor into the final decision.

It makes sense, at least to me, to stick with pointing out the different options that are available as far as bikes and refrain from providing business advice. The companys that "understand" will provide options for as many price points as they can.

#23 ·
Allow me, a new BD 450HT owner, to jump in with a few observations. Hey, I buy bikes infrequently, my main MTB until now has been a moderately ridden, well maintained, stock, '89 Fisher AL-1 ($550 23 years ago)!

I like my orange 19.5" 450 very much. Frame is nicely made. Paint is awesome. It went together in under an hour. Brakes and shifters took some minor adjusting. Shifting with the SRAM parts is crisp. The threadless headset came installed, and the factory adjustment was fine. Wheels were OK out of the box, but I'll expect to true them after a bit. I'd rate assembly as 'painless' for a non-bike-geek, but handy, guy like me.

Handling is quicker than the ancient AL-1, and a really nice change. Did I mention I like this $320 bike?

#27 ·
I am also a new Motobecane 450HT owner. Bought the bike from bikeshopwearhouse.com (they have an 800 number) and am really delighted. The bike looks good (the orange paint is awesome), rides great, and just feels right. :)

I had the bike assembled by a LBS whose lead mechanic is a former racer. After assembling the bike he took it for a short ride and came back with a big grin on his face. When asked how he liked it, his response was, "I like it...a lot. You got a great bike for the money."

Needless to say I recommend both the 450 HT and the bikeshopwearhouse.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.