1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

need new rear wheel suggestions

I ride a 26" 2011 Marin Rift Zone XC8...

I need a new complete rear wheel, thats cheap and will take my 9 speed cassette.

I use 2.25 Nobby Nic tires from Schwalbe.

Been looking at chainreactioncycles.com which is my favorite place to shop.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like bicyclewheelwarehouse.com for wheels.

Look for something (wherever you shop) that uses parts you can get easily as maintenance parts. I like a traditional 32-spoke construction using double-butted J-bend spokes. Hubs should be either sealed bearing or Shimano. Make sure you can get a replacement freehub. Make sure not to get the wrong kind of axle or brake mount. I'm betting you have quick releases on both wheels and disc brakes? So you'd want the same, preferably with the same attachment style for the rotors.

Some people break a lot of Shimano freehubs, but they've always been pretty reliable for me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Sv: need new rear wheel suggestions

Where does bicyclewheelwarehouse.com ship from?

This is a picture of what I have right now

Could you post a link for a suggestion of what you would get for 2-300$?? Just the rear wheel.

Sendt fra min GT-N7100 med Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    California. That's a traditional quick release and six-bolt rotor. I'd be on the fence about a complete wheel - what's wrong with what you've got? When it came up for me, I got a set, Sun DS1-XC rims on DT 360 hubs, for $200. They were an order cancelation, I think, but you could definitely get a set along those lines - I didn't save that much against list.

mtbr member
    The one I've got is all wobbly.. It might just need to be realligned, but I think it's been bent..

Sendt fra min GT-N7100 med Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    First line of defense is to try to true the wheel. Next would be a 1:1 rim swap, but since that's getting into more expense and trouble, if you want a new wheel anyway, it's a good excuse. Just know that you don't have to. It's actually a pretty easy task.

If you have to replace the spokes too, it's hard to keep the project under $100. You can buy a disposable wheel for that.

I built a wheel around an M-475 hub a while ago, because I needed a disc wheel for a road bike. Most people wouldn't save this hub, me included if the project had been about having a nice wheel. But it's been doing fine since then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do you want to run tubeless? If yes, you might have a look at Shimano MT66 wheels, they are SLX grade, rims have UST profile and can be made airtight with some tape. As I was told by someone here, the SLX freehub body is more reliable than Deore or XT.
    CRC has these wheels as wheelsets or separately.
    Last edited by nampla; 06-16-2014 at 12:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I bought a Fulcrum Red Power XL for $130 brand new on Ebay. I have been very happy with the wheel and it helped me shave some weight as well.