mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Need a new Headset

They bike I recently purchased had a lot of play in the top of the headset and i hoped I could just adust it out. I recently rebuilt my shocks and since they were off I figured I would investigate. I discovered the lower bearing is a little crunchy I tried to clean it out the best I could and re-grease. I noticed in the upper bearing area that the there was some obvious wear on the aluminum. I reassembled it and was able to get the play out of it. Then I rode it this morning, put it threw a little abuse. I didn't notice there to be any play on the trails but when i got home before i cleaned it when i stopped i herd the "tick". So I grabbed the break and tick, tick, tick.... it was back I had a feeling that this would happen.

So basically what Im asking is, is there a standard size? I have a 98' Specialized Ground Control FSR. With an 01' Manitou X-Vert Dual Crown fork. I'm a newbie again to this. I know how to work on my stuff and im trying to avoid taking it to a shop no need to pay someone for what I can do

What could go wrong ...
    You need a 1 1/8 threadless headset and you can tap out the old one and press in the new one ... just take your time and check the Park tool website for good instructions for any bike repair
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Former Bike Wrench
    Great deal on a solid cartridge bearing headset

Cane Creek S-2 Headset 031234007303 at Cambriabike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i notice all of these have star nuts as fasteners. My current setup looks like this

Is it just out dated? the o-ring goes around the three gripper pieces.

mtbr member
    Did you try replacing the bearings, or just cleaning them? Replacing them might help (I'd get confirmation from someone else first). Otherwise, the headset mtnbiker72 posted looks like a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I forget who makes it (I have one in my parts box somewhere), but what you have does the exact same job as the star nut, except it's heavier and doesn't work as well. I recommend just going with the tried and proven star nut. I'd also recommend going with the headset mtnbiker72 recommended. It's a great deal and a great headset. You can install it, adjust it, and then forget it.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by gigerrider View Post
    i notice all of these have star nuts as fasteners. My current setup looks like this

Is it just out dated? the o-ring goes around the three gripper pieces.
    That's actually what I was going to suggest was the problem, your starnut. Of course, you don't have a starnut... That one's not outdated, but if it's what I think it is then that's typically used on carbon steerer tubes. Take your fork/bike to a bike shop and have them install a standard steel starnut. I think the one you had in there didn't have enough holding power in the steerer tube to tension the headset properly.

Of course, you could also have them install a new headset if you're worried about the old one. It's probably better you get a headset at the shop because they'll either install it free or cheaply. It's worth asking about prices to have headsets swapped because it involves some tools that are expensive and not that useful to have in your garage.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?