mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Need new chain and chain lube

Hey,

So my chain broke for the first time and I'm doing some research on what chain to buy. I'm leaning towards scram or kmc because of the powerlink connector ( I don't have a chain tool). I think I might end up and buy a scram pc991 9 speed chain. Or should I look at something else? What's the best dry lube to get?

Thanks
    Last edited by dangerzone9k; 08-29-2011 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    All chains come longer than you need. You will have to have a chain tool to shorten the chain to the correct length....Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing.

SRAM and KMC both make good chains. The 991 would be fine.

Picture Unrelated
    If your chain was old and stretched, be aware that putting a new chain on the bike may result in slipping. Be careful the first few rides if you go mash on the pedals. If the chain slips then you need to get new cassette and rings to match that fancy new chain. If the chain wasn't stretched, you'll be fine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fat-tired Roadie
    If your chain's new, you may be fine just fixing it. When I've broken a chain, it's by trying to apply a bunch of torque to it mid-shift - so shifting under load once, once by back-pedaling and then jamming on the pedals before the shift had completed. So basically the same thing. Anyway, I only damaged one set of outer links both times, and put many miles on the chain after repair. You should still carry a chain tool because people can be endlessly inventive in finding ways to damage chains. It may be necessary to remove more damaged links than the one that goes on its own.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I can't use the old chain because I left it outside and it's rusted now. I just order a Topeak mini 20 tool. What's the best dry lube to get?

Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    Chains can get surface rust. It's no big deal. Dry lube is great for bringing back chains with surface rust, actually - just lube and go. The hardness is much, much lower than the non-rusted steel. Doesn't mean you should mistreat your gear in future - just don't freak out about this one.

I like White Lightning Clean Ride. It's a wax lube, so not quite the same as dry lube. But it functions pretty similarly. Both are great for rescuing rusty or dirty chains for those of us too lazy to degrease off the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    All chains come longer than you need. You will have to have a chain tool to shorten the chain to the correct length....Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing.

SRAM and KMC both make good chains. The 991 would be fine.
    +1

Don't forget to slip the chain off or it's going to be next to impossible to attach the link, might seem obvious but I didn't dawn on me until afterwards
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I about to purchase a sram 991 chain from jensonusa but there's also a hollow version of the 991. It's $7 more.. is it worth it? As for lube I'm getting progold prolink.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think the 991 chain is worth it to begin with. I usually just get 951s and 971s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Placed my order through jensonusa. Total was $30.93 for sram 951 chain and progold prolink lube.

I <3 bikes
    SRAM chain = win
    Progold = win

I find that the progold works best if I wait a three rides then hit the chain with a grunge brush really good. After that, I apply a little progold to the rollers and wipe. Follow up with rubbing a lubed rag over the plates. I rid in dusty/sandy conditions though so ymmv.

Haven't had any problems with SRAM chains thus far. The couple of shimano chains I've used....never again.