1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Need Mechanical Disc Brake System Upgrade (On a Budget)

Friends,

I have the Shimano BR-M416A disc brake system currently:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/te...9830706608.pdf

and I need to upgrade to semi-metallic pads (instead of the organics I have now) and need to upgrade to the Shimano XT rotors (instead of the SM-RT53 garbage I have now).

My LBS told me they called Shimano and that they recommend replacing the parts with OEM to restore power (big surprise right?) Well, I looked at Galfers, Avids, and Hayes...but I can find no info about what is compatible with my current Shimano calipers because I can't afford to replace them on my tight budget.

Please help friends...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    and I need to upgrade to semi-metallic pads (instead of the organics I have now) and need to upgrade to the Shimano XT rotors (instead of the SM-RT53 garbage I have now).
    What is the reason? need more info please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have very decreased braking power when it is raining, and I also do some single trails in my area which have a lot of hills and I notice fade out often. Plus my pads are about done now anyways...

mtbr member
    Replace your entire front brake system now. When you get your inheritance, replace the entire rear system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The difference of doing that, versus what I am trying to do is the difference of a lot of money. I'd prefer my original plan...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by neoendedsmith View Post
    The difference of doing that, versus what I am trying to do is the difference of a lot of money. I'd prefer my original plan...
    How much do you plan on spending on rotors and pads?
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

mtbr member
    I don't think you'll get much more stopping power wet, with semi-metallics and a new rotor. But, I could definitely be wrong. I'd think the increased stopping power of hydraulics would be the better move, even if you have to do it one step at a time. What is your budget? Maybe some lower priced hydraulics, or do they have to be Shimano? You can get an entire XT BR-M785 brake system for $140, 2 XT rotors and pads will run you $100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    $26x2 for both rotors, and $13x2 for both sets of pads (considering I can verify these the ones I am looking at are compatible with these Shimano calipers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For the hydraulics, I actually asked my LBS about that, and they said the modding required would be extensive sine my frame wasn't designed for hydraulics...so I have the old mechanical cable disc brakes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    buy shimano replacement pads. don't get generic unless you find koolstop ones that fit ( i coudn't online)
    Amazon.com: Shimano B01S Resin Pad & Spring: Sports & Outdoors

rotors of the same size won't make much difference. icetech helps with fade, but I would move up to 180mm front (assuming you have 160mm front now) maybe even the larger size rotor

I would repost in brake time:Brake Time

some more info.
    Shimano BR-M485 Disc Brake Pads B01S - compatability

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    $26x2 for both rotors, and $13x2 for both sets of pads (considering I can verify these the ones I am looking at are compatible with these Shimano calipers...
    Here's your answer.
    Case closed.
    New 2012 Avid BB7 Mountain Mechanical Disc Brake Calipers HS1 Rotors 160mm | eBay
    housing.
    Then use your current levers til you can get some speed dials,then you will have the best mechanical disc brakes on the market...and te levers to fine tune them.
    You're done.
    Z
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers 2012

Many willl agree..
    maybe better rotors later on.
    You're all set.Just get good cables and housing.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you for the link to the Avids...my curiosity is definitely piqued...but it sounds too good to be true...only $55.99...and in Hong Kong...does this sound legit guys? I'll go for it if you guys think I should...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Here's your answer.
    Case closed.
    New 2012 Avid BB7 Mountain Mechanical Disc Brake Calipers HS1 Rotors 160mm | eBay
    housing.
    Then use your current levers til you can get some speed dials,then you will have the best mechanical disc brakes on the market...and te levers to fine tune them.
    You're done.
    Z
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers 2012

Many willl agree..
    maybe better rotors later on.
    You're all set.Just get good cables and housing.
    Here ya go.

Avid BB7 Disc Brake System Reviews
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cool, thank you, all looks good. :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank you for the link to the Avids...my curiosity is definitely piqued...but it sounds too good to be true...only $55.99...and in Hong Kong...does this sound legit guys? I'll go for it if you guys think I should...
    Save me some.I'm gonna get some soon if they/re not all gone.Seems like if it was a scam,ebay would hae known about it by now.The deal is these are OE sets I think..not in original packaging and not original rotors.That's why the low price.If you have more $ to spend, get the official packaged version.If you want mechanicals, BB7s are the best.The Hong Kong part doesn't bother me...the purchase is backed by ebay protection.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Use some quality cables and cable housing, like STSP stainless steel housing.Check pricepoint.com for "Alligator" products, and read up.Here's a link-
    Alligator | Brand | Discounted Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes and Cycling Gear at PricePoint.com
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Excellent, thank you guys, much appreciation especially to zarr, I'll see if I can make an appointment to have these installed right away when they come in!! :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've bought several of the Ebay/Hong Kong BB7's and they have been great, no issues. I'd also recommend going 180 on the front. Just changed a couple of my bikes to 180 front and found it gives a slightly lighter, better brake. Not night and day but just a bit nicer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good deal, thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Zarr, my LBS said this kit appears to be for 6 bolt systems and not the center lock system that I require...any other guidance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    do not rush and get something yet, more likely to get something not helpful or won't fit.
    How heavy are you?
    what's the current rotor on your front. (measure the diameter). take a pic of it if you can't measure it and post it here.

in the lower tier, hydraulics are inferior to mechanicals.

you can buy the bb7 (only need front) and just install it on the bike. you don't need to match rotors with calipers. I don't recommend this, you should upgrade rotor size as it usually makes a larger difference. You'll need to buy a matching adapter as well.

here's 180mm rotor
    Amazon.com: Shimano RT53 Rotor: Sports & Outdoors

here's 203mm rotor
    Shimano XT Disc Brake Rotor SM- RT78 203mm w/ lockring - Brakes

according to tech doc u linked
    203mm adapter
    Shimano SM-MA-R203 P/S Disc Brake Adapter from BikeBling.com

180mm adapter
    Amazon.com: Shimano MA-R Disc Brake Mounting Bracket (Black, 180-mm Post/IS): Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by bob13bob; 04-23-2013 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    for further reading on proper rotor size
    160mm 180mm 203mm

mtbr member
    And even further. There are a few messy pages but the discussion gets back on track later: Do larger rotor sizes really improve braking? - 160 vs 180 vs 185 vs 203 etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I weigh 145-155lbs and I currently have 160mm rotors on front and back. I'd prefer to keep that size so I don't have to get adapters to increase the size and add even more comploxity to this MTB, I take a minimalist approach to this (less is more)...

And yes that other thread is pretty messed up with a lot of unproductive back-and-forth chatter....

I really like the idea of getting the Avid BB7s off eBay for $55 (that's one heck of a deal), but can you guys help me find any compatible centerlock 160mm rotors to go with the BB7 at a decent price?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2 ways...get some centerlock adapters or...centerlock rotors.
    Rule #1...don't say you want to keep a minmalist approach.People who don't understand things say that.Once you feel more comfortable with what you're riding,and get the "feel" for your bike...that leads to greater interest.Google and read some things about how BB7s work that is different than other mechanical brakes.The main thing is you can dial in the inner and outer pads...other mech brakes can't do that.And the Speed Dial 7 levers fine tune your levers.
    Also, from what I'm hearing,Shimano Icetech rotors are really good....the SLX and the higher level XT ones.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX RT67 Centerlock IceTech Disc Brake Rotor

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Deore XT RT81 IceTech Centerlock Disc Brake Rotor

You can read up on them.For 14 bucks more, the XTs are prolly worth it.Plus free shipping at bluesky.
    So for 55 plus the super duper rotors and super levers, pretty dang good mech brakes.

And don't forget to use good fresh cables and housing.
    i have more than you.

zarr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast