mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New question here. need help with upgrades.

Recently bought a trek 3500. I got a good deal 250$ for a 2013 new. Bought trek care etc.

Now its not the disc version , however I want to get disc . Question is do I totally have to change my wheels and hubs or can I just go buy the avid bb7 and install it?

Secondly what's a decent groupset I can upgrade to . I heard the x5 or x7 is decent without breaking the bank. I know my frame is heavy so I want to lighten it up . I was thinking of saying ef it and buying sun ringle charger 24 spoke or the black flag pro tubless 24 spoke. Any suggestion would b great

Fat-tired Roadie
    You need new wheels. You may need a new cassette.

Can you post a pic from the left side?

Get over the weight thing. It's very expensive and not that important. Low spoke counts are a sucker's bet, IMHO. One spoke weighs very little, but the structure of the wheels relies on them. For a lower spoke count, either you need a heavier rim or your wheel will die sooner.

Drivetrain upgrades tend to be very poor bang for the buck. They don't save a lot of weight and if your current drivetrain works right, you won't see much improvement in function. If your current drivetrain doesn't work, often it's the tune or the cable housings that are too blame. Besides, you let the shop upsell you Customer Care. You should be able to roll with that for a while.

How long have you been riding? What kind of riding do you do?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well at first this was for a commuter. However I went on a st 10mi ride yesterday "intermediate" level and now im hooked . So id say a lil commuting with st rides. My fork sux though suntour something non adjustable p.o.s ill get a pic one min

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

pics

need help with upgrades.-20140316_130519.jpgneed help with upgrades.-20140316_130437.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need help with upgrades.-20140316_130601.jpg  

need help with upgrades.-20140316_130419.jpg  

need help with upgrades.-20140316_130541.jpg  

need help with upgrades.-20140316_130451.jpg  

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    If you're going to be riding single track, I'd suggest getting some pedals, and maybe a new front fork. You should be able to take advantage of the Suntour upgrade program and get a Raidon for just over $200 that will have disc brake mounts. Just a thought.
    You can also get a Sun Ringle wheelset pretty cheap if you keep your eyes peeled... I got some Charger Comps with tape pre-installed, valves, skewers and 2 bottles of sealant for $228 shipped from Nashbar. Just be patient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks I thinks that's the route ima go except I think im gonna hit the fox shox up. So u said ill need wheels to get a disc upgrade?

mtbr member
    It would be expensive to switch to disc. Those don't look like disc hubs, so you would need new wheels. Wheels plus a set of brakes will easily put you into a couple hundred dollars range. Also, I can't tell from those photos, but I wouldn't be surprised if that fork didn't have disc mounts. Are there two little holes on the side of the lower leg on the left side? If not, you would need a new fork.

Like someone else said, a new fork would be a good investment. However, many new nicer forks are disc only, so make sure it has mounts for linear-pull brakes.

And if you still want to upgrade your drivetrain after all that, you might want to consider pumping the brakes there. You might be better served to look around for a good deal on a nicer bike in general with a lighter frame and better everything. You could likely find a great deal on a nice used hardtail that would cost the same amount and have more upgrades than your upgraded 3500.

Not that your 3500 isn't a nice bike, just seems like you're looking for something a little higher than entry level.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I was thinking, suntour upgrade to a Raidon ($240 or so), wheelset (~$250) plus front disc brake ($100)? I'd say you'll end up in the $1k range including the cost of the bike. You can make it a little less, or spend more, depends on your budget I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wheels,fork,brakes,drive train you could easily be over 500$ ,you should think about a different bike. 500$ for a used bike would go a long ways.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Idc about frame rlly. But your right about the cost for everything will end up being 900 . I only paid 250 for the bike new. They wanted 500 but since their mech screwed up royally on my road bike they gave me a deal. I think im just gonna put rigid forks on it and use it for a commuter. Ill just buy the sworks specialized Stumpjumper

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That frame does not have disc tabs for a rear disc brake. There is a . . . . . contraption. . . . available that you could attach to mount a disc brake, but they are expensive enough that you may as well buy a new frame.

That brings me to your frame. The 3500 frame is not a frame I would advise upgrading. Not because it is inexpensive, but because it was designed (geometry-wise) for relatively relaxed, entry level riding. The top tube on that bike is about 1.5" to 2" shorter than similarly sized bikes further up the Trek (and other brands) line that are designed for more aggressive riding.

You bought the right bike for commuting and dabbling on easier trails, but now that you are more interested in more aggressive riding that you bike isn't suited for, it isn't really a good idea to try to make the 3500 frame into something it will never really be. You took your first real singletrack ride yesterday, and suddenly you're looking at Sun Ringle Charger wheels and replacing just about everything except what is going to hold you back as much as anything you've mentioned so far (except for possibly the fork).

If you've got the money to do all of the upgrades you mentioned, you'd be better off selling the 3500 and getting something like the Airborne Goblin for $1,200. If you don't have the money all together now, just ride your 3500 as is for now, and save up until you do.

I get what you're trying to do. I have done it myself, and of course, the reformed are always the most vocal critics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You're absolutely right. Money isnt so much the issue. I bought the 3500 just to see if id like it. 250$ well spent imho. However I saw a specialized sworks stumpjumper I think it is with fox shocks deore groupset and t1 disc brakes wheels are reynolds I think for 5500 $ american express is probably going to be thanking me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hell the seat even has a lever to adjust it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im sorry its the epic comp carbon

I like pie.
    I also would advise just getting a better bike that fits. Much more cost effective. On your next bike, shoot for the best frame first of all, then the fork second, wheels third. The rest of the bike can be upgraded over time.

I own a FS and a HT. The HT is a sweet better level steel frame that I've had for close to 15 years and it rides as good as the day I bought it. It's on its third drivetrain, third fork and recently third wheelset. It gets ridden as much as my 2008 Superlight

Edit: I just saw you above post...good choice!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonfever View Post
    You're absolutely right. Money isnt so much the issue. I bought the 3500 just to see if id like it. 250$ well spent imho.
    Absolutely correct. In this case, the 3500 served it's purpose well as an entry level bike.

However, if you're thinking of throwing down on a $5,500 stumpjumper, I would also recommend you take a look at the camber expert carbon EVO 29. Also, if a $5500 bike has a Deore groupset (and not a Deore XT), I would keep on steppin'. Maybe slow your roll a bit and check out and demo ride a lot of bikes to make sure you measure twice and cut just once this time.

I still think this would be the ultimate kick-butt trail bike, but you should get the one that makes you grin:

Tested: Specialized Camber Expert Carbon Evo 29 | Flow Mountain Bike

Oh, and I would keep the 3500 for commuting :~) Good luck, and have fun.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Definitely hang onto the 3500 until you decide you'd rather just commute a road bike.

Going to the S-Works bikes is a hell of a jump. But I have no idea what your financial situation is. If it's no sweat, wtf, go for it. If it's a level of expenditure that's going to take you some time to absorb, bear in mind that a lot of people find their interests take them someplace else after the first season. The Epic is a race bike uber alles. I actually don't have saddle time on it, but it's not most non-competitive riders' choice. Stumpjumpers are relatively popular in my region. The 120-140 mm travel range is pretty popular for general MTB. Check out some other bikes too - if your shop could sell you a 3500, they can sell you a Fuel, Remedy, Slash, Rumblefish, etc too. And ask about demo bikes. You're peeling off enough of a chunk that your regional rep might lend you something to try to secure a sale. I was really happy I borrowed a Hei Hei for a week before I bought mine - ended up on a different size than I thought.

Regardless, good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not that there is anything wrong with Specialized bikes but they have a number of proprietary parts,if you need to replace or repair some stuff the only place to do that is Specialized. You should do what is suggested above and find some demo bikes or rentals to try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I know I want a 29er. From bmx ive always believed in specialized. But I've heard niner bikes are good too , but I haven't seen any fs versions. I was actually thinking of building or buying something suitable not only for st but dh so the extra travel will b needed. Im not new to mtb just reborn after a good 10 yr gap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know I want a 29er. From bmx ive always believed in specialized. But I've heard niner bikes are good too , but I haven't seen any fs versions. I was actually thinking of building or buying something suitable not only for st but dh so the extra travel will b needed. Im not new to mtb just reborn after a good 10 yr gap.
    You need to test ride before making an expensive mistake. Everyone likes a different suspension design for different reasons. Specialized may end up being your favorite. As you can see based on what I've owned I've had more than one Specialized, so when I looked for a 29er I just ended up with a SJ. After riding a Tallboy I sold the SJ after only 6 months. Expensive lesson learned- test ride test ride test ride before you buy.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    For what you're thinking of spending, you would have little problem buying both a nice trail bike and a dedicated DH bike if you did a little hunting around the used market. IMO, with new trail bikes, anything over $3k will get you very little in the way of actual performance increases.

I'm not sure if it's common, but a buddy of mine bought a top-end Niner carbon FS last year and the frame failed within months. He had a bit of a hassle warranty-wise, and is now back on a Specialized. YMMV

Also, you don't want a 29er for DHing.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.