1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ... Need help with Trek 820

Well, I got a bike a few months ago and rode from here to there but nothing major. I thought I would take it trail riding and fell in love. I have gone almost every day now for two months for about 1 hr/day. I am getting more aggressive as the days go on. Needless to say I have beat my poor 820 pretty hard. I have, of course, bent the back rim and have decided to replaced as opposed to have it trued since I have already done that. I am looking for a stronger rim that is compatable or maybe a website to look for one. I would upgrade to a better bike but since I am a med student I am kinda broke. Someday I am looking forward to dropping some serious dough on a sweet bike.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    you got v-brakes right? you should be able to find a decent wheel for around $50. you might be better off buying a wheelset to replace both wheels if you've been riding your bike that hard.

if you replace your rear wheel you'll have to change the cassette over from the old wheel to the new one. a bike shop will probably charge a few bucks to do that.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=261
    http://www.nashbar.com/subcategories.cfm?category=126
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-wheelset.htm
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=5312

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by meldo
    Well, I got a bike a few months ago and rode from here to there but nothing major. I thought I would take it trail riding and fell in love. I have gone almost every day now for two months for about 1 hr/day. I am getting more aggressive as the days go on. Needless to say I have beat my poor 820 pretty hard. I have, of course, bent the back rim and have decided to replaced as opposed to have it trued since I have already done that. I am looking for a stronger rim that is compatable or maybe a website to look for one. I would upgrade to a better bike but since I am a med student I am kinda broke. Someday I am looking forward to dropping some serious dough on a sweet bike.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks
    Steel is real! Your going to kill that bike slowly. The good thing is as items start falling apart you can update the components. Then when you have some really cool parts on you funky bike you buy a frame & fork swap all the parts & your on your way to building a better bike.Awsome wheel set ready to be set up for disc even are Shimano with Ryno Lite rims. Cheap but supper strong.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks you guys rule.
    I ahve heard that a fork upgrade will be needed down the road. What else do you guys think?
    Thanks for the websites by the way.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by meldo
    Thanks you guys rule.
    I ahve heard that a fork upgrade will be needed down the road. What else do you guys think?
    Thanks for the websites by the way.
    For components Shimano LX shifters & front derailleur, XT rear derailleur, Brakes Avid BB7's, Handlebar & stem RaceFace, Seat WTB, Tires Maxxis HighRoller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey dogonfr thanks
    Those rims you recommended I can use those now and also if I upgrade to disc brakes down the road? Seems too god to be true. And they are cheap
    right on thanks

Are you talking to me?

Is the 820 disc compatable?

I am not sure that the 820 frame has the drillings for the Trek disc adaptor. Can you provide a photo of the non-drive side rear dropout?
    gfy

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I am not sure that the 820 frame has the drillings for the Trek disc adaptor. Can you provide a photo of the non-drive side rear dropout?
    ...or the fork either??

About a new fork for the 820. Keep in mind a good fork will easily cost more then you paid for the whole bike, generally not a wise investment, but then agian, if you plan to swap all the good parts over to a new frame some day then it would work out....
    But also remember buying a frame and building up the bike piece by piece can cost much, much more then buying a complete bike, even on high end bikes so unless you plan on having a cassette, wheels/hubs, crank/bottom bracket, fork, brakes, chainrings, etc to move from the old bike to a new one, you risk wasting money......just food for thought

ride hard take risks
    The wheel set is set up for disc but the rims are machined for V-brakes so he can do a straight swap. Out with the old & in with the new.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The wheel set is set up for disc but the rims are machined for V-brakes so he can do a straight swap. Out with the old & in with the new.
    Ya, I have an '03 or '04 Trek 820 in the garage and looked when I got home tonight. The mounts for disk brakes are there.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ya, I have an '03 or '04 Trek 820 in the garage and looked when I got home tonight. The mounts for disk brakes are there.
    He will score big for the future then, cool.