1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

need help with shin/knee and forearm/eblow pad sizing

hi, im new to mountain biking. im 15 going on 16 this year. im 5'11'' and 130lbs and i am a skinny chinese kid. lol. i need help on the sizing. im not sure what sizes to get because i have never tried on knee/shin and forearm/elbow pads before. i was looking at the Roach Rally FR Leg Armor on price point, but im not sure if large would be too loose on me because of my skinny legs, or if sm/md will be too small for me. and im not sure where to find Roach Rally FR Arm Armor.(please refer a site to get both or just the arm armor. thankyou) and what size should i get for that also? i wanted to order them online instead of going to a bike store because they would be overpriced. thankyou!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Go to a bike store and find out which size fits. Bring a printout of the best price you can find, and see if they will price match, or lower the price a little. If I can get an item a little over internet price immediately, and no shipping cost, I do it.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the bike store doesnt have it... so i cant try it on... so any help? ty

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about skinny.It's more about the length of you arms and legs.
    Provided by Roach: Men's: M (height...5'2"-5'8"), L ( 5'8"-6'0"), XL (6'0"-6'2" ). *This size chart should be used only as a guide.
    That was the leg size chart.I wear the Race Face version arm elbow pads size large and I'm 5'9".I bet the large leg/arm would fit fine.