1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

need help with ?'s chain, lube, tubes, etc..

Im trying to gather necessary maintenance parts and tools but having a hard time. LBS was absolutely useless aside from having lube.

i would like to get power links for trail repairs, how do i know what chain i have? i have 7 gears in the rear, is that a 7 speed?

tubes, my tire says 29x2.0 and has a normal looking valve on it. the ones im finding are presta, does it matter?

how do i know if i need 60mm or 32mm valves?

what are you folks using as a spray cleaner/lube? i have white lightning chain lube but need something to spray into the sprockets to blow them out. tried using a bottle brush to clean them with no luck.

thanks for your help
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    i would like to get power links for trail repairs, how do i know what chain i have? i have 7 gears in the rear, is that a 7 speed?
    Yep. If you have 7 gears in the rear, then that's a 7 speed.

tubes, my tire says 29x2.0 and has a normal looking valve on it. the ones im finding are presta, does it matter?
    Presta will fit fine into a rim made for "normal" looking valves. The only issue is making sure you have a way to inflate it. I had to buy a pump with a compatible head. A pump designed for bikes, maybe with a reversible head.

how do i know if i need 60mm or 32mm valves?
    The shorter valves will work fine for the vast majority of typical mtn bike rims. "Aero" rims are the kind that need the longer valves. Not really sure what they call 'em technically. Deep V profile rims? Deep dish? They look like this:

what are you folks using as a spray cleaner/lube? i have white lightning chain lube but need something to spray into the sprockets to blow them out. tried using a bottle brush to clean them with no luck.
    I just use dishwashing soap for cleaning and have no preference for oil. I typically go for something cheap for the conditions I ride in (dry). I picked up some Pedro's Go, which works well enough and for a great price.

You sound like you need a brush for cleaning the sprockets. I use one of these:

mtbr member
    sorry, i meant "schrader" as normal. lol.

i dont have a pump yet so i can get that for whichever valves i roll with. why the heck cant i find 7 speed power links?

mtbr member
    im reading that presta valves are skinnier and i may not want to run them since my rims were drilled for schrader.

thoughts?

mtbr member
    im flipping confused. is there another measurement for my 29ers tube size? the tire is 29x2, is the tube something else? cant find a damn schrader valved 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    The only issue is making sure you have a way to inflate it. I had to buy a pump with a compatible head. A pump designed for bikes, maybe with a reversible head.
    Or you both could just buy the adapter for a buck. Therefore it would not matter what kind of pump you buy. Whether it be a mini-pump, bike pump, or compressor. That is what I did, bought the adapter so if need be, I could help anyone out who needed my assistance.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

Trail Ninja
    Ah, I forgot about those adapters. They're cheap at about $1 each too. I think I lost all the ones I've bought.

You can use 26" tubes too. They stretch when they inflate. You can use 700x50 tubes as well (don't go much smaller than 50, as that's about 2" in mm). Presta valved tubes will work fine in schrader rims. Some people like schrader-drilled rims so they can run both types.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Ah, I forgot about those adapters. They're cheap at about $1 each too. I think I lost all the ones I've bought.

You can use 26" tubes too. They stretch when they inflate. You can use 700x50 tubes as well (don't go much smaller than 50, as that's about 2" in mm). Presta valved tubes will work fine in schrader rims. Some people like schrader-drilled rims so they can run both types.
    Just a tip if you are losing them (not that they cost a fortune or anything), put the adapter on the spare. So you will always know where it is, just a little nugget of my n00b knowledge for ya...lol

I have schrader, but when a flat arises, I have a Presta ready at the go. No sense in changing tube, if I don't need to right now.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    so it is safe to run presta tube in a rim drilled for schrader? no issues?

mtbr member
    so it is safe to run presta tube in a rim drilled for schrader? no issues?
    That is what I am going to be doing, and out of the two LBS that I have been to. Neither of them have told me anything different, so I am guessing that it is safe to say yes. Running Presta in a Schrader drilled rim is just fine, and safe.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    thanks, i did find schraeder valved tubes for the 29, i guess you can use 700 size as well.

next question. the chain on my bike....being a 7 speed. is it compatible with 6,7,8 speed chains? are they all the same aside from length? is it 3/32" ?

mtbr member
    my current chain says KMC XSP 8X, so its a kmc with stretch proof technology, what is the 8x ?

Trail Ninja
    next question. the chain on my bike....being a 7 speed. is it compatible with 6,7,8 speed chains? are they all the same aside from length? is it 3/32" ?
    Short answer: you want something for 6-8 spd if you have a 7 spd.

Long answer:

Here's all I know about chain sizes. All bike chains have a spacing of 1/2" between 2 pins. The other size noted is the roller size (1/8", 3/32", 11/128"). Chains need to be narrower for higher speed drivetrains, due to smaller spacing between cogs. You can use narrower chains meant for high speed drivetrains on lower speed drivetrains, but they may not be as durable. Chain dimensions:

10 spd: 11/128" 5.9mm pin length
    9 spd: 11/128" 6.6mm pin length
    6-8 spd: 3/32" 7.2mm pin length
    1 spd: 1/8" 9+mm pin length

You can order the proper powerlinks for 6-8 spd online. Here's a link if you can't find one elsewhere:
    SRAM PowerLink 8/7 Speed Master Link - harriscyclery.net

my current chain says KMC XSP 8X, so its a kmc with stretch proof technology, what is the 8x ?
    8X is likely their naming convention for 8spd chain, which is the same as a 6 or 7 spd chain.

While a 9 or 10 spd chain will work on a 7 spd drivetrain, a 9 spd or 10 spd PowerLink II will be too narrow for a 8 spd chain. A 6-8 spd PowerLink would fit loose on a 9 or 10 spd chain (a bit wide, leaving a space between the inner and outer plates).

mtbr member
    thank you so much for your help varaxis. repped along with a couple others in here.

love this community.