1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1

    Need help to price bike.

    Hey everyone. I have a 1997 or 1998 Litespeed Hiwassee full suspension titanium MTB that i need to sell on Craigslist but i'm unsure of how much i should sell it for. It was originally my fathers bike but he passed away almost a year ago and its been sitting in my garage ever since. Its a nice bike and i would ride it but the tires are messed up i think.

    Heres all the info i have gotten on it so far. If you guys think i need to list other things let me know...

    The bike is (44cm) or (17 5/16")...i may have measured it wrong because i don't think 17 5/16 is right. Its weight is 24lbs or 11Kgs.


    Stem - Race Face
    Bars - "Answer" Hyperlite
    Seat Post - Moots
    Front Shocks - Rock Shox Judy SL
    Rear Shock - (Not sure)
    Cranks - Shimano Deore XT
    Deraileur - Shimano XTR
    Wheels - Mavic "Cross Max"
    Headset - Chris King
    Pedals - Odyssey Svelte
    Brakes - Pro Avid V (silver)
    Brake Levers - Avid SD-Ultimate (silver)

    As for the tires issue...when i ride the bike it seems to jump a bit as if there is a bent wheel or something, but it isn't the wheels because they are straight as an arrow. The tires seem a bit rotted so i'm pretty sure that's the issue...or i may not have seated them right...in any case the tires are old and need to be replaced, but everything else is in good working order.

    I was going to try and sell for between 800 to 1000. Any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated.



  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    103
    Maybe $150-200? The bike and its components are over 10 years old now. It was a great bike in its time, but technology has changed a lot since then. You could never get 800-1000 for that bike now.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clutch_08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    357
    yup I think you would be luck to get 300 for it

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,103
    Why not get new tires and keep the bike? Seems like a nice enough bike. It would be a shame to sell it for almost nothing. Or if you are not interested in keeping it then maybe you could give it away to someplace that will make sure it gets into the hands of someone underprivileged.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    27
    In my country most likely go for about 450NZD so maybe 300USD?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    103
    I feel like 300 would be a bit of a stretch. A brand new bike like this costs 330, and the parts are all superior: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_400HT_x.htm

    Maybe if you can find someone who doesn't know too much about bikes, you could get a few more bucks out of them.

  7. #7
    Professional Speed Bump
    Reputation: captainjoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil42
    I feel like 300 would be a bit of a stretch. A brand new bike like this costs 330, and the parts are all superior: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_400HT_x.htm

    Maybe if you can find someone who doesn't know too much about bikes, you could get a few more bucks out of them.
    You can't get a brand new Litespeed Titanium Full suspension bike for $330.

    More like closer to $3300.

    It's old, but it's got a Titanium frame.

    The comps are old too but if they are all in good nick try placing it out for around $500.

    Trust me...this is a Litespeed Titanium FS bike...

    Even at it's age, it's still a good lightweight XC bike with just a few upgrades can perform as well as a new FS bike.

    Put it out for $500 OBO and see if it hooks...and no, you won't be ripping anyone off.

    Personally, I would upgrade the rear shock and fork and ride it out...that bikes' gotta be in the sub 25 lbs.

    **EDIT: I see you already listed the weight. Even by current standards, it's a lightER FS bike.

  8. #8
    pants on head retarded
    Reputation: yurtinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    257
    A lot of these posts are shooting far lower than I'd expect. Titanium frame Litespeed - it's almost vintage superbike material. It would make a decent FS XC rig or a great wall ornament. Either way, I'd see if you get bites for $500. I may be off base here, but it might not hurt to ask in the vintage forum - ten years is an eternity in mountain bikes...

    As for the tire bounce - may want to check the tubes. If they are old slime tubes, you may have a chunk of slime piled up at one end which can have a similar effect as a wheel out of true.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    You can't get a brand new Litespeed Titanium Full suspension bike for $330.

    More like closer to $3300.

    It's old, but it's got a Titanium frame.

    The comps are old too but if they are all in good nick try placing it out for around $500.

    Trust me...this is a Litespeed Titanium FS bike...

    Even at it's age, it's still a good lightweight XC bike with just a few upgrades can perform as well as a new FS bike.

    Put it out for $500 OBO and see if it hooks...and no, you won't be ripping anyone off.

    Personally, I would upgrade the rear shock and fork and ride it out...that bikes' gotta be in the sub 25 lbs.

    **EDIT: I see you already listed the weight. Even by current standards, it's a lightER FS bike.
    Brand new, the bike was 2000 according to bikepedia. How could it be worth 3300?

    I could see the bike going for 500 with modern components, but not with stuff so out of date. A current hardtail bike for the same price would get far better performance IMO. The fork will most likely have lost a lot of travel over the years as well. I had a Judy fork on my first bike, and after 6 years they hardly work at all.

    I mean, if the OP can find someone to pay 500 for the bike that's great, but I don't think it's really worth that much.

  10. #10
    Professional Speed Bump
    Reputation: captainjoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    755
    "A brand new bike like this costs 330" - was your quote.

    A brand new bike like this is a Litespeed Sewanee Ti or a Litespeed Niota Ti...both of which go for beyond $3000.

    Perhaps if you said something in the lines of "a brand new bike that is comparable to this bike in it's current state..." would've been easier to understand.
    Perhaps it's my fault for misunderstanding.

    Also, we're not talking about performance comparison here. We're talking about perceived value. I've already witnessed the frame alone selling for over $250 and although the wheelset are rim brake wheelset, they are CrossMax. If they're in good nick, they're also worth at least $130 for the set. Add up all the components, even though they're old, and you will end up with a bike that is damn slight more than $500.

    I will admit, however that $500 might be being a bit optimistic...but asking only $200 or less is seriously undercutting the worth of the bike. That's why I said, ask for $500 OBO.

    If you get $400 for it, then you did good.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    "A brand new bike like this costs 330" - was your quote.

    A brand new bike like this is a Litespeed Sewanee Ti or a Litespeed Niota Ti...both of which go for beyond $3000.

    Perhaps if you said something in the lines of "a brand new bike that is comparable to this bike in it's current state..." would've been easier to understand.
    Perhaps it's my fault for misunderstanding.

    Also, we're not talking about performance comparison here. We're talking about perceived value. I've already witnessed the frame alone selling for over $250 and although the wheelset are rim brake wheelset, they are CrossMax. If they're in good nick, they're also worth at least $130 for the set. Add up all the components, even though they're old, and you will end up with a bike that is damn slight more than $500.

    I will admit, however that $500 might be being a bit optimistic...but asking only $200 or less is seriously undercutting the worth of the bike. That's why I said, ask for $500 OBO.

    If you get $400 for it, then you did good.
    Ah, when I said "like this" I was referring to the Motobecane in the hyperlink. Guess that could've been clearer. Yeah, you're right, I guess anything below 200 would be low, but unless I was buying the bike for the historical value I wouldn't pay a cent over 250. That's just me though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •