1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Which Bike

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • BAMF Grappler

0 0%
  • Airborne Guardian

4 40.00%
  • Diamondback Overdrive 29er

0 0%
  • TREK DS

0 0%
  • TREK Sport Series 29er

0 0%
  • Cannondale TRAIL SL 29'ER

2 20.00%
  • GT KARAKORAM 3.0

1 10.00%
  • OTHER - Please make suggestion - thanks

3 30.00%
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Need Help Picking a Bike

I'm looking for a 29er that I can begin hit some trails with, commute around town, and in the future being training for some endurance xc racing on.

I've had several bikes in the past, but ive been confused by what I really want to do.. I started with a mountain bike, moved to a Road bike, moved to a different mountain bike, and am currently riding a XC bike...

After all those and a few others ive tried, including riding a buddies 29er around ... i now am sure I want a 29er for what I stated above...

Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to just pick up a 1500-2000 bike right now... im looking for something in the 500-750 range, the lower the better:

The bikes Ive considered and am looking for input on as well as other suggestions are:

BAMF Grappler
    AIRBORNE Guardian
    Diamondback Overdrive 29er
    TREK DS
    TREK 29er Sport Model
    Cannondale TRAIL SL 29'er
    GT KARAKORAM 3.0

Any info / help / suggestions / etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Need a 29er

mtbr member
    Since it appears many of these are mail order...test riding is probably not in the mix. The Trek, GT, and Diamondback's all use Suntour XCM or XCT forks which kinda suck. Suntour makes good forks, but not the ones you see on $500-$750 bikes. The Cannondale is a higher priced model than your price range but if you can swing it, the RST fork on it is better than the Suntour models. I have never heard of BAMF so no comment there.

The Airborne bikes have had good reviews. But for $750 you can get a pretty stacked bike from Bikes Direct.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point3 29er Mountain Bikes
    Last edited by Bike Whisperer; 08-07-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    am no expert but i love my 2012 TREK MAMBA for about $200 more on your budget..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I went with an airborne guardian. Just got it today and haven't been able to take it out yet but the bike looks awesome and their customer support is nothing less than stellar!

After looking at all the bikes in my price range I decided to go with the guardian because I felt it gave me the best bang for my buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Breezer Sport is at the top of your price range and is a bit more expensive than the Guardian but is also a bit better equipped.

Breezer Jetstream Sport 29" Mountain Bike - Twenty Niner

And for $1000 even this one becomes an option:

Breezer Jetstream Comp 29Er '11 > Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Last edited by Luclin999; 08-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    But for $750 you can get a pretty stacked bike from Bikes Direct.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point3 29er Mountain Bikes
    I've got one of those, and I could not be more happy. Heck of a bike for the money.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I will take these into consideration I am looking for my next bike... Any further suggestions would be great. I am going to look into these other bikes and keep reading the forums and will post back again tonight.

Thanks again
    Need a 29er

Master Shredder
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future