1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

need help picking between these two bikes.. plz help

ok i found what i think to be two pretty good bikes for the money , but i am not a expert so i would like some help the get the most bang for my buck.

fyi i plan on doing mostly road with some trail runs, but i would like a bike with good components that is light enough to do an occosional long ride.

thanks

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1679122673.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/spo/1678312588.html
    it turns out the super v is actully an 01 model and he said he would sell it for less then 500. here is the 01 link

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...+500&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you have up to a $500 budget I would look for either a new or used hardtail. The two bikes you posted are pretty old and probably not worth it.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Personally, I wouldn't buy one of those old FS for "mainly road riding". Take the same amount that you are going to spend on one of those bikes and buy a new hard tail from a local bike shop.

The upkeep on those old bikes will drive you crazy, plus why are you looking for a FS bike for the style of riding you describe?
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1

Get a hardtail for the riding you describe plus those bikes you are looking at are way too old for the prices posted.

Professional Speed Bump
    They're both not worth it.

When my buddy and I started biking, we were really in to those older FS bikes. He actually bought a mint Super V700...but after about half season of riding, he realized something very important. He realized that he did not want to be seen on the trail with the bike.

I know that's a bit shallow, but once you start to really get in to riding, you will realize that those old funky frame full suspension bikes wore out their style by the end of last century. If you look at modern full suspension geometry, it is quite different.

If you absolutely must have a full suspension MTB and your budget is around $500, I would suggest trying to find early models of something along these lines:
    Trek Fuel
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Intense Tracer
    Specialized FSR
    Cannondale Jekyll

It might be difficult but I've seen early models of the above listed go for around $500.
    These bikes have a more modern frame layout and geometry and will provide much better rides than the ones you've listed.

Professional Speed Bump
    Here is a good example. This one is little above your $500 mark but it's an example of a much better bike for just a little more:

2001 Cannondale Jekyll

The Jekyll is considered old frame geometry as well, but it is much closer to the modern designs and the ride is close to, if not the same as new full suspension bikes unlike the Trek Y and the Super V.

**EDIT: Okay, that was not a great example :P. Some parts are not included...but there will be ones fully equipped and ready to ride in your budget.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the help people.a novice like me would probably purchased one of these and regreted it later.

thank you and god bless!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    They're both not worth it.

When my buddy and I started biking, we were really in to those older FS bikes. He actually bought a mint Super V700...but after about half season of riding, he realized something very important. He realized that he did not want to be seen on the trail with the bike.

I know that's a bit shallow, but once you start to really get in to riding, you will realize that those old funky frame full suspension bikes wore out their style by the end of last century. If you look at modern full suspension geometry, it is quite different.

If you absolutely must have a full suspension MTB and your budget is around $500, I would suggest trying to find early models of something along these lines:
    Trek Fuel
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Intense Tracer
    Specialized FSR
    Cannondale Jekyll

It might be difficult but I've seen early models of the above listed go for around $500.
    These bikes have a more modern frame layout and geometry and will provide much better rides than the ones you've listed.
    ok. how about this pirahna from 06. they are asking 350.. what do u guys think???\

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1679181004.html

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger164
    ok. how about this pirahna from 06. they are asking 350.. what do u guys think???\

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1679181004.html
    They usually go for near $800 new.

Considering it's fairly new, I think it's a good deal and also considering the popularity of GF bikes, this one will probably go fast.

I think you should offer $300 and see if he bites. If he doesn't try $325...if he doesn't budge, then he's a d*ck but take it anyway.

I would.