1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Need help for new bike purchase

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to cycling, although I did ride a good amount as a kid. I'm looking to get into xc/trail riding again as a form of cardiovascular workout and to spend more time with my kids. Having not ridden in a while I find myself needing a bit of help choosing a bike. Due to budget constraints I'm looking to start with big chain store bikes instead of a lbs. I'm 6ft and about 235lbs. I know the bike frame I should be riding is around a 19". Here are some of the bikes I am looking at:
    Mossy Oak 26-Inch Men's Mountain Hunter Mountain Bike : R4992 : VMInnovations.com

I also just found the Diamondback Response XE 29ER at Dick's sporting goods for less than $400.

What are your thoughts? I know I have a lot to learn, but I am looking forward to getting a bike and getting out and riding it.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Need help for new bike purchase

The diamondback is a decent place to start. It's not much out of pocket to decide if you like the sport or not.

I bought a bike when I started riding 3 years ago from academy. It only took. 3 months before I upgraded to a great used bike and now im building up a new to me niner air 9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The problem with a lot of those bikes is that they only come in one size,finding a bike that fits is the most important thing to do. Bikes with a price range are pretty mush the same. If you know or have a friend that knows what to look for your money goes farther with a used bike. Another thing is that some of those bikes have stickers on them that says not intended for off road use. For real trail use you should think about saving some more money to get a better bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Dick's actually gives you the option to choose frame size when ordering the bike. I don't think they have much of a selection in store. From what I can tell the DB that Dick's sales are the same that are found in my local lbs. Unfortunately, my LBS only sales TREK unless they have a used for sale. Which doesn't happen too often here in lower Alabama. there are a lot of used NEXT bikes lol.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A Diamondback from Dick's wouldn't be a terrible place to start - it's the bottom of the same line of Diamondbacks that are still carried in a few specialty shops. A place like REI might also be a good option. And, give your local shop a chance to hook you up - this is a time when specialty shops are trying to get rid of 2013 bikes.

The Pacific bike is probably a POS that you'll break.

Actually, Costco and Target are some additional options. The Forge hardtail (Sawback 5xx?) from Target was getting some good buzz a while ago. The Northrock XC bike from Costco was too.

Finally, set up a search on Craig's List. You can save them so it emails you with hits. While you're researching your other options, CL could still come through.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, I ordered a DiamondBack Overdrive 29er from Amazon. Got the bike, a repair stand, seat(just in case), headlight and taillight, chain lube, assembly lube, and a set of plastic tire levers for about $400. Now for the hardest part, waiting for the bike to get here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by workman482 View Post
    Well, I ordered a DiamondBack Overdrive 29er from Amazon. Got the bike, a repair stand, seat(just in case), headlight and taillight, chain lube, assembly lube, and a set of plastic tire levers for about $400. Now for the hardest part, waiting for the bike to get here.
    hehe congrats man! Great choice! Oh and be patient...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That will be a good bike for you. If you aren't 100% confident you can assemble the bike, take it to a shop and have them do it. Might cost $40-50, but it's better than attempting it yourself and ending up with a problem.
    Bike Doctor